Pages

Healthy fare - fish tacos on the menu

Thursday, June 3, 2010

To me, summertime fare is all about natural, easy and healthy foods. And the less time I am in a hot kitchen the better. Actually, Jon is in there more than I am so he also appreciates quick and healthy meals. Even though summer has not officially started, the heat has and so there is a new lighter menu in this house.

First up: Fish tacos. Easy and delish.

I don't go by a traditional recipe but this is what I do.

Sauce:
Mix together-
1/2 cup mayo ( I use the olive oil mayo)
1/2 light sour cream
chopped fresh cilantro to taste. We love cilantro so the more the better.
You can also add spices to the sauce. I don't because I add those to the fish.

Place the fish (I used Cod but any firm fish will do) with a little olive oil in a fry pan, add spices like cumin, chili powder and any zesty seasonings you wish. Cook on med-high heat until fish flakes easily - about 5 minutes or so.

Rinse the corn tortillas and heat them in the microwave for a few seconds until pliable and soft. I usually heat them on a paper towel to soak up any moisture.

After heating the tortillas, fill them with fish and top with the sauce, shredded cabbage, fresh cilantro, tomatoes and avocado slices. Add a squeeze of lemon and you are good to go.

**For a fun look I also use red cabbage and for extra flavor, try it with a mango salsa, another favorite and add a splash of cider vinegar to the cabbage. If you're feeling extra over-achiever-ish, you can make your own corn tortillas which are not difficult - but for me, that's for another day.

Enjoy!




3 comments:

  1. A corn taco, fried fish with shredded cabbage on top of the mayo with cilatro and sour cream sauce ...now that's different, but I like different. I think I might try this minus the shredded cabbage and have the taco on the side. The tomato and avocado toppings were the save. Thanks for sharing this. Interesting.

    Haupi
    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited you posted this recipe as I have those on my Dinner Diva agenda to make next week and I didn't have a tried and true recipe. Thank you. Wish I was at your house right now eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These fish tacos look so yummy!
    Glad to have you join in the fun at Friendly Friday! I'm following you now, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say