Pages

Laugh lines

Tuesday, June 8, 2010









Dear Dad,

It's been a little over 11 years now since your mortal journey ended and today would have been your 73rd birthday . I think about you still. I wonder how you are, what you're learning; if you've run into anyone interesting.

A lot has happened since you've been gone. More grandchildren were born, more job moves, more life lived.
I wish you could see it all. Maybe you do.

When I was going through mom's things, I found a box of your old paycheck stubs, canceled checks, budget notes, land titles and receipts from long ago. Before I was born even.

It made me weep.

I was humbled by the historical, written evidence of 40 years of work - of a dedication to a family.
I had no idea.
Although you never showed it, I know you felt pressure on your shoulders as the sole financial provider of a home. You never ran from it. You took it on and never let us down.

Did I ever tell you then how thankful I was that you worked so hard?
I'm sure I didn't.
One of the pleasures of a child's life is not knowing how hard it really is to raise a family and make a living for them. All I knew were big trees to climb, blackberries to pick, or cloud formations to watch as I lay in our hay fields. You were a great provider. But more importantly you provided a kindness - which is difficult to explain but your gentle nature has stayed with me my whole life and has taught me more than you know.

Sometimes I worry that I'm forgetting details about you or that I'll forget your eyes and their surrounding lines, telling of a life of laughter. And then I'll look in the mirror and see them - one of my favorite things about you which is my favorite thing about me.
Enjoy heaven, Dad. Look to God and live.
P.S.
Say hi to mom. She said she would always worry about us, even when she was no longer here.
Tell her she can stop now - we're all good!
Love you.

7 comments:

  1. Very touching...made me tear up a bit. You are so blessed to have had such a wonderful Dad and Mom. Thanks for sharing such tender, sweet feelings and thoughts !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to your father.
    I believe as children we have no idea what sacrifices our parents make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's really sweet and well written. i'm sure your dad is proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Thank you so much for sharing this. I feel like I got to know a little piece of your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poetic, I really can't wait for you to write a book and be submersed in your way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a touching post. A lovely tribute to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice post for your father, makes me sit back and think, did I rmember to tell my Dad all that.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say