Pages

Thanks, Francis

Sunday, July 4, 2010


Our iconic anthem, "The Star Spangled Banner," is arguably one of the most difficult songs to sing. I'm not even a singer and I know that its two, is it two?, octave range is tough. You only have to look at a televised sporting event to see that this is true. Even some of the best singers in the country have mangled it's tune, leaving others to play it safe and lip sync in front of thousands at a stadium.
And don't even get me started on people who can't sing and still tried...

This anthem stirs up emotion and leaves us with swelled pride. Pride in a country that tries its best. Even when we are not all on the same page or unhappy with situations in the United States, we can count on that song to unite us, even if for a moment. I wonder if Francis Scott Key knew that he penned emotions that night which would follow us through all of these years?

It's words have always misted my eyes.
The fourth verse, one of my favorites, always causes that.
I do love this country of mine...

O! thus be it ever, when free men shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!


Do you have a favorite patriotic song?

Have a safe and Happy 4Th of July! Fireworks oh yeah!!

4 comments:

  1. Wish we had more opportunities to sing patriotic songs. They totally get me crying. It's usually the verses that we don't commonly sing that get my tears a running down my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that 4th verse, especially the in God we Trust part is not remembered enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree...love it and I get all teary eyed too when I hear it or sing it. We often sing songs dripping with patriotism in church on National holidays. I think it is good for our children and grandchildren to see us honoring and praising God, our Founding Fathers and Mothers and the military on these occasions too.

    When I was in school, we learned all the patriotic songs and we were encouraged to love our country and show it by respecting the flag, saying the Pledge, obeying the laws and being good,honest citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be it. I am also fond of God Bless America.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say