Pages

I thought it was time for another strange situation story

Wednesday, September 15, 2010


A while ago someone asked why I was updating my house since I "didn't live in the right neighborhood" for that. This was a nice person but one who never thinks before they speak.

I had to do some knee-slapping laughter because it reminded me of the time when I had a church visitor over to my house once. We had just moved from Texas to another state. We decided to sock away our money so we moved into a small apartment in order to save money to buy another house. Sounds reasonable, right? My mom had been living with us for a few years by then (long story) but that is what family does and we never thought anything of it.

It never dawned on me that people would find all that odd until this visitor came by. She was trying to give a friendly, spiritual message on being thankful since it was around the Thanksgiving holiday. She was telling me what she was thankful for and
I kid you not, these were her words verbatim,

"...and I'm so thankful for my family and for having a house, I mean a real house, you know, and not having to rent...you know...like yooouu." "And for being able to stay home with my kids, and for my husband who has a job that supports us, and not having to work outside of the home, like yooouu..."

I'm not sure why she held out the word but it only emphasized the fact that she was glad she wasn't me. I don't know, maybe it was a nervous thing.

I began to tune her out but heard her also say something about my mom living with me and she was thankful it wasn't her, but "like yooouu..." of course.

By this time I could tell that she realized her whole foot was in her mouth (hello!) and was trying to pull it out but doing a horrible job. She began to squirm a bit and I wondered what. in. the. world. she could possibly say next.

Then she nervously asked what I was thankful for, and swallowed hard. I literally heard her gulp. I said, "Hmmmm..." and then I heard another gulp.

A smile crept on my face.

I wondered if she could see the wheels spinning in my head or the angel and devil on each of my shoulders? Mwaahahaa...Probably.

There were all kinds of things I chuckled to myself about saying to her and they whirled around in my head and begged to bust out of my mouth.
Do I? Don't I? Ah, the moment was perfect and frankly, probably warranted, heck yeah - After all, I am only human.
But in reality, I didn't want her to worry about it because it didn't bother me that much, even though that was thee most suckiest spiritual message I have ever gotten.

So, I'm sure there was another thing she was thankful for but didn't realize: that in these situations, I ultimately decide that most people are generally good. We're just dumb sometimes so I was ok with her assessment. I knew all of the back stories, did I really care that she didn't?

After all, it was a funny evening for us. All night my mom, Jon and I kept laughing and saying things we were thankful for, like, "I'm so glad I don't suck at sports like yoouuu.." when we were out throwing the football and one of us would miss a catch. Or, "I'm so thankful I'm not a bonehead like yoouu..." when we would watch "Jeopardy" and answer incorrectly.
Or one of them would say, "I'm so thankful the baby likes me better than yoouuu.." but then when I realized she had a messy diaper, I took her to Jon and told him he was right, she does like him better and that she "only wants to be changed by yoouuu...suckah." hee hee hee...

Hugs,
Laura

11 comments:

  1. Don't you find that sometimes church members think they can say what they want... in the name of "just pointing out the obvious?" I know I've put my foot in my mouth more than once. I try to be more aware before I speak now that I'm older.

    Thanks for the post. I'm SO glad I've gotten to know youuuuu. Hugs. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee, hoo hoo, haa haaaa....oh my goodness! That is one of the cutest stories I've heard in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, what in the world?? hahaha. I try really hard to keep my foot away from my mouth. But sometimes it just slips in there. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura you are so funny; I love your reaction. When I read the first paragraph I was thinking "I didn't say that did I? I don't think that was me. I haven't even seen her neighborhood. Couldn't have been me. Was it me?" Obviously I too have a "speaks before she thinks" problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Carrie, sorry for worrying you. No, I am sure they never read my blog and I've gotten used to their idiosyncrasies, which makes them interesting actually!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda - that made me laugh! Yoouuu too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder what kind of comments would have been made to some of my sisters I visited while living in Arkansas.. where the roaches were crawling all over the walls..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had such a out loud laugh like that in a loong time, thank yoouuu! That is just too funny, how did you manage to keep a straight face during such a major blunder?!! :o)
    Oh, I can't see to type, just rivers of laughing tears!! You crack me up Girl!! yes, yoouuu!

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to chuckle so much about that post...I have met so many people who don't think before they speak. We are all prone to offend and think it's O.K. or don't even realize we've done it. Choosing to not be offended isn't easy but it is possible...good for you Laura Lynn !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the laugh!! You're so REAL and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could this be the same person who told me she was so grateful that SHE had a husband who worked so hard so she didn't HAVE to go to work outside of her home and leave her children in the care of a total stranger, which is TOTALLY a sin and gainst the counsel of our leaders....I wish I could have your sense of humor about it. Only now, 15 years later, can I think about it without getting tachycardic!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say