Pages

Frightful candies and Halloween memories

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Trae's not Halloween mask. He just wears it when the mood strikes.


I was just reading about the 5 worst Halloween candies. One for example is the fun-size Butterfinger. It boasts 100 calories per bar and 4 grams of fat. Luckily, I don't eat those. It's replacement it says should be the fun-size Three Musketeers bar. Eating three of them is only 63 calories and 2 grams of fat. I do like those. So that seems like a no-brainer.

I remember as a kid going trick-or-treating. We lived out in the country so we would drive to all of our "neighbors" in the valley, which numbered about 10 of us total. Our neighbors dotted the sides of the hills and down into the valley. Walking to each house would take all night so we drove. And it usually rained too so trick-or-treating by car was the best method.

Everyone gave out large candy bars because each family only got about 8 trick-or-treaters total and 4 of them were from my family.

Then we'd drive over to my Aunt's and to some of my parents' friends houses to show off our costumes. Again, it was always the big candy bar give-a-way. By now we had about 15 large candy bars. We thought it was great but we wanted a whole bag of goods. It was like me explaining to my toddlers now that a dime is worth more but they insist on the penny because it's bigger.

After that we'd finally get into town and hit some real housing developments where we would get the chance to score lots of candy. And later we'd dump it all out on the living room floor and assess our loot, wincing at the Pears and Sucrets that some people gave.

I liked pears but they had to be crunchy. And the Sucrets were always cherry which I didn't like but they were better than the Hall's Mentholatum that we got too. Some grandmas were just trying to make sure that we stayed healthy I guess.

I still look forward to Halloween. It's fun but what a weird holiday though - sending our kids out in costumes and begging for candy, right? They always say "trick or treat" but no one has ever requested a trick from them. I guess in some parts that would mean something different but I'm talking about a prank, an optical illusion - something of that sort! I guess I should teach them a card trick just in case they are finally asked...

So if you participate, what is your favorite item to hand out?

I actually wouldn't mind getting Sucrets or Hall's this year. There's a cold coming on...

3 comments:

  1. I am trying to figure out what to give out this year. Since I am on a super low sugar diet there is a huge part of me that wants to scream "sugar is evil! It will give you diabetes!" Maybe I will go apple picking at Masonic Village again and hand those out? That could be totally lame but would soothe my conscience.

    P.S. Is trick-or-treating on Saturday this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For us Halloween is on the 29th from 6-8 pm. I don't know what your borough is doing but I imagine it's the same. You could give out apples but they may go to waste. Tootsie rolls, I read, were on the list as a better option instead of more fatty, chocolaty-er candies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you write about your childhood memories !!!

    We only have 10 - 12 kids come by our house for Halloween...so I don't have to buy a lot of candy.

    I give out 2 - 3 candies to each child: mini chocolate bars, gummie bears, lollipops or Smarties.

    Now that I think of it, as a child, I never asked for a TRICK instead of a TREAT and no one has ever turned down TREATS in all the years I've been giving them out !

    We have a Trunk or Treat at church each year after our chili cook off dinner and it is so fun...I buy a ton of candy for that party !

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say