Pages

Garage Thrifting

Saturday, January 22, 2011


Today I was able to go through a few bins of items that have been handed down to me. Some of the items I will eventually sell and the rest I'll pass along to my kids.
I pulled out a few items to share with you...

I love the postage stamp on this envelope

and the mailing label.
Notice there is no zip code and the
address is Corner of Franklin and Jonathan streets?
I actually lived in Hagerstown at one time.
Clues like dates and places of origin always peak my interest. I love the return address as well.
Schenley bought the rights to many name brands of alcohol that went out of business during and after prohibition. My guess is that this was a promotional give-a-way because inside
the envelope are six (69 years-old) 9x12 floral prints all in perfect condition.
They came with a paper from the company that tells what each flower means.
I am thinking of having them copied rather than selling the originals.
They would add some pops of color to a space. I might use the Chrysanthemum somewhere myself!


I love the use of books in decorating. I am always drawn to ones that have decorative and colorful covers.
No matter what your personal style, they always look good stacked up anywhere.


This art deco piece is one of my faves although I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe I need to go buy some chunky necklaces to dangle from it?
It is a vintage handkerchief display with its original handkerchiefs. It came out of the store, Farrell & Eddy, in my little hometown, that opened in the early 1900's and closed in the early 1990's. My mom bought it at their auction when the building was sold about 6 or 7 years ago.
This was in the back store room on the shelf but it had been on the front counter all those years.
Cool.


A few silver items.
The pedestal dish in the background will go on my dresser to hold spare change or jewelry.
I may use the others for the little flowers that the kids pull for me when Spring and Summer show its faces. I don't have a lot of this out since I lean more contemporary but it's good to mix it up a bit. And who doesn't love reflective surfaces?
So that rounds out today's picks.
I'll be digging around some more later but until then,
Have you found anything you are incorporating/re-purposing into your home?
Have a great rest of the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Those are some seriously beautiful finds! Wow.

    I need to see how you've used the books in decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those books! Well, all around, you have some amazing finds here. Love them!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say