Pages

Ties that bind

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Today I should be on a train bound for Philadelphia but last night's snowstorm has virtually shut down the city. I wanted to be with my cousins to say good-bye to our Uncle Gary today. He passed away last week after a long and successful life.

It seems my emotions are on the surface a little. The cold weather brings back memories of January's past where I stood and said good-bye to my parents as eternity opened its doors.
I know how my cousins and their families are feeling right now so I wanted to be there in support. One of the most comforting feelings I ever felt during both of my parent's funerals was sitting near the podium of the chapel and looking out over all those who came to pay respects.
There were people that I had not seen in years. But upon sight, their faces brought back good memories and our eyes teared with gratitude knowing they took time out of their day to support us. You do gain much strength from others that way. Connections like that are so important - to me anyway.

Yesterday on Facebook I posted the above photo of my Uncle Gary for my family to see. It's one of my favorites of my grandparents and my dad (standing in front of Gary) his sister Janet and another brother Dennis. Many of my cousins on Facebook commented on it and laughed about who looked like whom. Some had never seen that photo of their parents and our grandparents before.
My cousin Michael, Janet's son, posted the comment, "More please."
I realized that his connection to the past through a simple photograph was just as important to him as it was me. So today while we are snowed in, I'll gather pictures for Michael, think about my family, have fun on a snow day and sip hot chocolate with mine and be so thankful for the ties that bind.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. It is a comfort to see loved ones taking time out to pay last respects to our other loved ones. I felt the same way in regard to my mothers' funeral. It's great that you can share your pictures and all of you have memories of such wonderful and amazing people. It sounds like you have a large, close family. That must be a comfort in of itself.

    By the way, thanks for the spelling lesson ;) I really did look up that particular word in Google and what I wrote is what came up... go figure.. sigh. Thanks, I've changed it to the correct spelling. And yes, I'd love to be close enough to play in the fabrics too. Oh what fun and silly creativity we could have.

    Here are unlimited hugs and love for your dear Girl. Take care, talk with you soon,

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. And what a wonderful gift to share with your family. Technology is a wonderful thing. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you couldn't be there. The photo is great.
    What a wonderful tribute to be able to do for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post and the wonderful picture, I am sure you have a sweet family, every one. Take care in the snow, thinking of you, peggy

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say