Pages

When in doubt, prime it out

Friday, January 7, 2011

All signs were pointing at me to not start a painting project today. But it was such a small one that I knew I could get it done in an hour, tops.

First, the painter's tape was missing. I remembered Reese used it for something the other day but didn't know what he did with it. After searching for a while, I gave up. Who knows where kids stash things. I could improvise I thought.
So I continued and took everything off the shelves and freed them of any dust.

I then took off each ledge.


The paint can lid was on so tight that I had to use a knife to peel off the old paint under the rim. I nearly reached muscle failure trying to twist that thing apart. With so much time wasted, I didn't want to waste anymore and just get to it. So, I tossed out priming.


That was my mistake. I broke my own rule of 'When in doubt, prime it out,' a little saying I mumble to myself when I paint. I don't know if anyone says that to themselves, but I do.

The paint separated and it looked similar to a bar code at first. I let it dry a little and tried again, but it still wouldn't work. I knew I should have primed...

So now the kids are due home and I'll be busy with snacks but eventually I'll make it back to the garage to look for some primer. What a wild Friday night I have planned, huh?

Remember, "When in doubt..." and save yourself some trouble.

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I loathe painting. I would never have primed it.
    It's going to look great when it's done!
    I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanna come paint at my house? I've had all the paint and supplies to repaint my bathroom for at least 3 months and can't convince myself to do it. And I probably need to prine it--blech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never done a project like that...though I want to. Like with my kitchen cupboards. But no clue what do to or how to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate priming too, otherwise I would like painting...just wanted to thank you for drawing my attention to the man with the golden voice. Our whole family has followed the story and we are so happy for him. Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hate painting. that must be why I have my living room paint still sitting in the cans since April. Lucky for me I have a friend who loves it and we have traded babysitting for her painting.. Hopefully we get it done before this April.. have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. I have so many paint projects planned, except I need to sand the top of Kate's dresser first before I start priming and painting this time.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say