Pages

Pictures from a youth dance

Monday, February 21, 2011

A month ago I was asked to take pictures for our church's Formal youth dance. I thought about what to do for them but determined that the best photos for teenagers would be something free form and not the staged backdrop type that I had at school dances.

Then I thought maybe I should have something and threw some ideas around in my head. But then I went back to my original thought. Those first thoughts are usually the right ones.

Maybe next time we'll look at a full backdrop but last night we took pictures "photo booth style" and let them dictate how their pictures would look. I brought a few things just for kicks and let them have fun. But it was I who had the fun. My spirit was renewed and I felt energetic. Being around teen-agers can do that to you.

Usually they stand for the pictures but I took my vintage couch as an option. Every single one of them opted to sit on the couch and some even dove on their friends who were sitting there. It's "springy-ness" surprised everyone which made them almost fall off and laugh right away so we were off to a good start.

They wanted hard copies so in between photos and dancing, we ran to Rite-Aid and printed off 100 pictures. I made it there just in time and when I returned to the dance, a crowd of kids were waiting. I loved hearing their laughter as they sifted through the pile of pictures. And then more kids came running in so we did another round.
100 down, 340 to go!

Here are a few -









4 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! You really captured them in there element! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what fun photos...great job ! Perfect proof Teens love unfettered, break loose, personality driven type photo shoots !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that does look like a good time was had by all! It's funny how funny the youngin's can be, so creative with their outgoing selves!! I know you had a good time!

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious!

    I wish I would have had this last week for the pictures I did for a Valentines Dance.
    Those are some seriously cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say