Pages

Wednesday Quotes - about talents and skills in a round about story

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The thaw is here...See you next year, ice!


When I first started this blog, I had no idea what I was doing. I still don't really. I had no idea where I wanted it to go or what I wanted to convey. Still don't. But I guess that's why it can be a sea of random topics. I didn't even know what to title it and wish I would've done something different but in the end, "Enjoying the simple things" suits me I guess.

I've never been too fussy or needy. Just the everyday norm was okay with an interesting adventure or two thrown in for good measure. I can remember as a child going on walks all by myself on our property and lying down under the big oak trees. I could lie there all day and stare at the sky but occasionally popped up my head to make sure a tractor or cow wasn't coming by. The ability to relax any cares away felt good. I was always strangely happy and didn't need to be in a mix of friends to feel included because I had myself and I quite liked her.

Last night my boy had a complete meltdown which is not uncommon with his behavioral disorder. Sometimes though, it takes every ounce of strength for me to stay calm. Every ounce.

And sometimes, no, many times I fail to do so.

After much frustration about his day and homework, he began to stop and listen. With my arms around him to keep him calm, I asked if he trusted me. Through sobs he said yes. I asked him if he felt that I knew what I was doing. Again, he said yes.

I took him through a calming, breathing exercise and asked him to relax and listen. He did. I told him to lie down and rest his mind and body and that tomorrow would be a better day. By resting early, I promised that in the morning we'd tackle his homework together. It would all work out.

As I was leaving his room, he pointed to a book and asked if I would read it. It was "I'll Love you Forever." By its end and in tears of sorrow, he leaned in to me and said he loved me and apologized. I did the same and reminded him that he could always trust me and that I would be his advocate, always. We would beat this problem but it'll take work.

I only tell you this to illustrate that from the beginning I feel I was destined to have this challenge with a child. I can see now how those inherently given abilities of being mostly happy and taking life in stride are my talents. I never thought they were all those years growing up. I even skipped out on Jr. Miss because I had no idea what talent I could possibly provide. But just like anything else, I need to keep those talents in check and push myself to get better at things which propose more of a challenge.

While those were less noticeable than the talents I wished for like singing - tone deaf here! or drawing - stick figures only! or being musically inclined with instruments - have you ever known anyone who played "air saxophone" in band because they couldn't figure out how to read music? You do now! It was like lip syncing only with a saxophone. I just couldn't get it.

I am thankful for those lesser known talents. And God, in His infinite wisdom, gave them to me because He knew I'd need those skills to get through what was to be, like last night.

Sometimes we may look upon another and wonder how they managed to get into the talent line twice. Measuring yourself up to someone else will never result in anything positive. You will always be disappointed in one of you.

So in this long, round about Wednesday quote, remember that your skills and talents are still being honed, no matter your age because you have much to offer. It just may be the complete opposite talent that you hoped for but it is important none the less. Use them all and find new ways to go about it.

Have a good day.

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me.”

~ Erma Bombeck

6 comments:

  1. You make me want to be a better person. I feel blessed to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amber, that just made my cry. It's funny because truly, I have always felt the same about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura Lynn, that was a beautiful post.
    It really lets you know that this is what you are supposed to be doing right now at this time.
    You are an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your insightfulness to bring your thoughts full circle just continues to amaze me and I thank Daddy for that. He truly has blessed you with the talent of seeing beyond the ordinary to bring out the extraordinary simple truths. You have a way of causing us to stop and reflect deeper and I thank you for that. You are indeed an amazing woman.

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heartfelt and lovely post. So many good thoughts, observations and sharing...thank you !

    I had always wondered why so many others have such awesome talents and I don't have any at all.

    Through raising a family, service to others and the joy of finding and honing talents that were not natural as breathing, I have grown so much. Opportunities have been given to me over the years to share what I have cultivated and it is wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such a beautiful post Laura! I have always admired the gentle way you tackle parenting and the grace with which you go about your life. I think your blog is perfectly titled and I always come here when I need a reminder that voluntary simplicity is the best mantra to live by.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say