Pages

Cue Spring

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This morning I received a call from my neighbor who had moved out of the beautiful farmhouse across the street. They moved to an even lovelier and larger farmhouse a few miles away. She was calling me back because I wanted her permission to hack away at the Forsythia flowers on her property. Her response was, "Hack away Laura! And while you're at it, take the Magnolia when it blooms." Music to my ears.

After chatting with her for a bit, I grabbed a knife, threw on Jon's coat and headed out the door. The brisk air this morning made me wince. I had a look of determination on my face as I marched down the street. Then the thought crossed my mind that I may look like a serial killer - serious face, dwarfed by a big coat and a shiny knife in hand. So I thought I should put a happy step in my walk so I wouldn't scare anyone. Although the thought of a smiling person wielding a knife is a little scary as well. Anyway...


The branches were wild and unruly so I just took them at random. I had my tall Homegoods vase in mind so all I needed were the stems to be long and thick enough to fill the large space on the wall.

I didn't pay much attention to form except that I wanted single branches to stay in line with the side shape of the vase. The rest of them in the middle could just go crazy and do their thing. And then as the sun started peeking through the window and the Forsythia livened up their little corner in the entry, they did do their thing...cue Spring!

2 comments:

  1. I've had a really crappy day today, so I came to your blog because you always make me happy.
    It. worked.
    :)Thanks for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but sorry it was a bad day. You're one of the nicest people I know. Jon and I talk about that all the time. "Those Campbell's are the nicest people" we say. I will deliver something happy to your house tomorrow! Hopefully that day won't be crappy.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say