Pages

Royal Recap

Saturday, April 30, 2011

I couldn't have watched the Royal Wedding and not do a proper write-up. The Brits really showed how to do it up and do it right, didn't they? The pomp and circumstance, the Abbey, morning coats, dresses, hats, crowds cheering and waving the Union Jack, even the rain decided to hold off for a moment - all made for good t.v.







As for Kate, her dress was lovely. It was perfect for marrying a Prince. It was also reminiscent of Grace Kelly's wedding gown which was classic and romantic. My favorite part of the day was where Prince William whispered, "You look beautiful" to his bride. I mean, who doesn't want to hear that?







I thought William and Harry looked great and enjoyed seeing them interact. It seemed as if Harry was trying to lighten up a bit of a nervous William. It's understandable, I'd be nervous if 3 billion people were watching my every move on one of the most important days of my life too.


Now you can't mention the wedding without commenting on some of the hats. It was specifically stated on the invitations that women must wear them.


There were all shapes and sizes, some of them I would categorize as headpieces or satellite dishes rather than hats.

Tara Palmer -Tomkinson's electric blue hat seemed to be one of the favorites of on-lookers.(Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images)

Sophie, Countess of Wessex, wore a rosette spray on the side. (Chris Jackson/Getty Images)

Britain's Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg's wife Miriam wore what they said looked to be Flamenco-inspired. (Alastair Grant/AP Photo)

I think Spain's Princess Letizia, who wore a pink tulle-topped hat, got it right. Queen Sofia and Prince Felipe always look great. Growing up, we kinda liked Spain in my house. (Martin Meissner/AP Photo)

I also liked Victoria Beckham's hat but wished David had donned his top-hat rather than hold it.

Even the on-lookers made their own creations.


So as you could see there were all kinds. Some would even go as far as saying they were rather Octopus-like, inspired by Lady Gaga more so than Milliner Philip Treacy. This one of Princess Beatrice's even has it's own Facebook page. But, I can't give her a failing grade because having the guts to try is an A in my book. And she shouldn't worry, Americans have had their own misses when it comes to hats, a la Aretha.





But sometimes they are cute as can be. Here a young-er Belen and Charley are wearing two of my favorite hats. I usually sport them in summer and go for simple, simple. No feathers or solar panels on this head. (pointing to myself)





Besides, I think she redeemed herself at the evening reception looking pretty great in silver.






Now - Let's hope the royal couple is off to wedded bliss.





Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you have to say