Pages

Thrifty finds and another project

Friday, April 8, 2011

My mission while out thrift shopping was to find a gaudy and ornate mirror. The first one I saw was too big for the space and the next was too small. A trip to the local Goodwill put me within reach of one that was juuust right. Unfortunately, someone had the same mission and set it aside on the counter while they shopped. Oh, how it tormented me.

But spotting this solid {heavy} alabaster cake stand made up for that miss. Almost. I love the pedestal and veining.
Since I was in the area I drove down to one of my favorite antique malls even with a 5 and almost 3 year-old in tow. That can be dicey but they managed to keep their hands off of most things. And thankfully the shop owner wasn't phased by them.
There I found a cute vintage anagram game with a ton of tiles and a hat for Blair to play dress up or days she wants to wear it to a soccer game, like yesterday or maybe it'll be her choice as an Easter bonnet.



I also spotted a chevron patterned wooden box on a shelf. It was holding papers and postcards so I emptied it hoping to find a price inside. Sure enough I did and that seller's whole booth was 40% off - my lucky day...with the exception of that blasted mirror...



Waiting at home for me was another chevron patterned item, only a little larger in scale.
I've been wanting to do this since I saw it on HGTV's Design Star a while back. I'm finally getting around to it and am hoping to finish it up today. It's not that big of a wall but it is time consuming and involves math. Math!

My mom would be so proud that I am using geometry, even if it is with painter's tape. I know it doesn't look that hard but this takes surgical precision here! Or something like it. Maybe it just takes a glutton for punishment. That's me.

So that's a round up of the latest thrifty purchases. Have you found anything lately?

Tomorrow I may hit the flea market in search of the mirror. Wish me luck!

Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Great finds! Sorry about the mirror, totally relate... Hope you do find just what you want at the flea market, that'll be fun!

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say