Pages

When life gives you lemons, make a souffle

Thursday, April 28, 2011

A while back as I was decorating a scrumptious chocolate cake, one of my kids remarked that they couldn't wait until we cut into it. I told them that it was for another family but I would make them one sometime. Later I questioned myself on why I reserve making the good desserts for others and just rely on the old standards for my family, if at all?
The answer is possibly that if I do make a big dessert, Jon and I will likely eat a lot of it which is not so good for our waistlines. So I opt for quick, easy and not so sweet.

My dad would commission my sister and me to make treats for him due to his big sweet tooth. We'd pull out the mixer, the cookie press and whatever else we needed and went to town. My sister was really the expert and I just followed along but I enjoyed making up creations.

Every time I mention the things we used to bake, Jon remarks that seeing is believing. So with that, I decided I should try a little harder in the area of making something fun just once a week. I wouldn't want them to get their hopes up for divine desserts or anything.

Since I purchased a bunch of lemons for just a buck at the Farmer's market and we love most anything lemon, I decided to make Little Lemon Souffles baked right in the lemon itself.

It was fun and they turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.
So now we'll have to see what I come up with next week. Time to go pull out the cookbooks...

Have a good weekend!


(By the way, did you watch the Royal Wedding??)

2 comments:

  1. Those are SO adorable and if was eating grains I would ask you for the recipe stat. For now I will just stare longingly.

    I didn't watch the royal wedding. While I was interested in seeing the dress, watching people get married is kind of boring to me. What can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...those look incredible. How'd they taste?

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say