Pages

Corner of happy and free

Friday, May 27, 2011


When I spied this little table in Texas, I knew right away that it would hang out on the deck. It just needed a few plants and some drinks to hold to make it my little corner of happy. That and some new deck furniture...

I bought some pots at Garden Ridge and pulled out the vintage Bamboo patterned McCoy piece I got for $1.99 at the thrift shop. Then I needed to find some plants.

Enter my favorite 2 mile walk and a generous person.

While huffing it up a hill, I noticed a sign by a little stoop that read, "FREE plants, take as many as you want."

Someone had taken time to gather starts from her spider plants and re pot them in old coffee cans, half cut milk gallons and other plastic bins. How nice, I thought. There are still good people out there.
While I was looking them over, the woman came out of her house and I told her that I would feel better paying so I would come back. Pointing up to her window, she said that I would actually be doing her a favor by just taking them off her hands. The massive plants I saw, just from a glance, looked to be invading her house. "I have bunches," she said.


So she helped me pick out a few which gave my arms a good workout on the 2 mile walk back. No need for arm weights that day.


And now they sit waiting for us to enjoy some fresh lemonade in good old mason jars. And they'll be even better when these lids arrive in my mailbox. The cute factor just went way up. I hope the taste factor does too.



photo courtesy of Brides magazine



Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than a nice long walk and a kind, thoughtful neighbor. I know you will love, enjoy and take good care of her "plant babies"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There, It's so good to see you comment on my blog again... It's been a long time I think... Please come back anytime!!!

    I enjoyed your post ---about getting the free plants.. Hope you went back to get more---or told your friends about them.. I'm sure you did do the woman a favor.. She probably can't take care of them anymore--but would love to see others enjoy them.

    That lemonade looks good--after that long walk...

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your visit. Free plants, always good and I love the Mason jars too..always fun to drink out of! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful plants.
    It makes me want to pull up a chair and sip on some lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get the lids?? I love them too.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say