Pages

Framing ferns - quick DIY art

Thursday, July 7, 2011

When Jon saw that I was packing a book to take with me to camp a few weeks back, he smiled and said, "Oh, gonna get a little light reading done?" He was excited for a moment at the thought of me taking time to read, something I love but never can squeeze in any time to do.

I said, "No, that's for my ferns!"


Every few years I like to press ferns for quick art work and since I don't use a fancy flower press, I just use the trusty (and slightly dusty from all the non-reading and I guess non- dusting) books.


This is one I framed in 2003 when we went hiking in Maryland with the kids. I found 3 species that day and put them in 5 old frames which I picked up at a thrift shop. It has kept its color but some of the others have faded which is why I redo them every few years.



I loved that the frames all had their original prices on them. .39 cents for the 5x7s and .59 cents for the 8x10's. You can't even get those prices at a garage sale.

This time I'll put them in white frames which I happen to have a bunch of, just in all the wrong sizes of course. Time to remedy that.


Anyone making nature inspired art? Displaying a beautiful, twisted piece of driftwood, perhaps? Or still keeping that pet rock on the shelf?




Linking to Just a Girl

Somewhat Simple

Tales from Bloggeritaville

Frugal Novice

6 comments:

  1. How pretty! The frames were a great find.

    Thanks for following my blog - I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is so beautiful--I love how simple yet sophisticated it looks. And I can't believe those frame prices! That's fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Love it! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I love the old price tag too!! I wish I could find a decent frame for .39!!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura-

    I love decorating with nature. Using the ferns in the 39 cent frames look so pretty. An almost free project- love it. I love all the driftwood dec ideas I see. Pieces of it would look great in the frames or even around the frames.
    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! What a great way to make art your own! Xo, Katie

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say