Pages

Kitchen progress

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I was hoping to get to the pallet project that I had drawn up in my mind which is now sketched onto paper. But then we got to talking about the kitchen and how we have to finish it regardless of the cabinet situation.

We are putting in a mix of open shelving and cabinets but unfortunately we have to arrange them differently than originally planned. That now calls for a few more cabinets to install. Specifically, we need to create a surround for the refrigerator and put the open shelving in a new location.

That's where this project stalled. But a fresh perspective put us back on the right track.

So amidst the weekend's holiday fireworks, a sleep-over, play practice and a backyard marshmellow roasting event, we hauled home a pantry that I found on Craigslist for $40.00. I pulled out my trusty mouse sander and went to town sanding enough of the old finish so that the primer could adhere to the surface. Jon took care of the door crevices while I got the high spots.
And after a few coats of primer (Kilz) and paint, we brought it in to get an idea of what it will look like. We still need to finish the overhead cabinet and attach them but one step closer is better than no step.


These pictures serve as inspiration photos for the look we are trying to achieve. I call it fresh country modern but really, we call it "anything is better than the crappy way it was before."

Can you tell we're not perfectionists? Our DIY motto - "Done is better than perfect." (Scott Allen)


Have a great day!



via Country Living
via Traditional Home





source unknown



source unknown

3 comments:

  1. Giggling... Better than the crappy way it was before. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your kitchen inspirations and your great finds! One day I would like to see said fabulous country modern kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soon Carrie! I just bought sample tile today...ooh, getting closer! I wish it were fabulous - it'll be fabulous just getting it done, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say