Pages

Not a ninja - roadside stands

Thursday, July 14, 2011

One of the things I adore about living here are the small, unattended roadside stands where flowers and vegetables are sold. During my travels I like to stop by these places.

It makes me happy to see them and I am somewhat surprised by the trust that the owner has with their unknown customers.


When I first moved here, I went to the stand in the pictures below which sits to the left of the yard at a sweet little farmhouse. The house was covered with flowers and vines and the porch kind of beckoned you up to it. Since the door was ajar and there was a business sign in the yard, I thought it was a flower shop or boutique. I walked up to the door and pushed it open.

I took a few steps in and saw this beautiful farm table with cut flowers strewn all over. I noticed the creaky wood floors and farmhouse touches around the room. A cat sauntered up to me and started leaning on my leg like they do. She was purring so I bent down to pet her. As I did that, I looked to my right and saw a TV, living room furniture and kids toys playfully tossed about. I quickly stood up and did a double take, realizing that this was no flower shop but that I was a stranger standing in the middle of some one's living room.

"Oh no!" I whispered to myself and began to back out but those creaky floors were loud and the cat's "MEOWing" was even louder. I thought it would give me away. I whispered to the cat to "Shhh" as if that was going to help

I continued to walk backwards for some reason which is when I stepped on a toy truck and stumbled a little, sending the truck skating across the room. Panicked, I turned around and ran my legs smack into a table. I wanted to let out a yell but instead I quickly tiptoed out the door, almost hopping and whispering, "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" When I finally got out, I cracked myself up, laughing all the way home.

I am so not a ninja.

I wonder how many people bring back the jars?

Pretty in pink.
Honor system.


Fruits and veggies




There was even a change box to the right of the money
to make yourself change if you needed to. That's my dollar in there.


What do you love about where you live?

4 comments:

  1. I love those roadside stands, and of course, anyone who stops at them is usually honest and sometimes more than.

    Your story made me think of my friend who was antique shopping. Her brother said, this old frig has food in it. Like you, they made a quick exit.

    See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I'm no ninja either! I loved this story! The way you write makes me able to picture the whole thing! I also get a cozy feeling when I see unattended stands. I like to think that the world where unattended stands can go without anyone taking advantage still exists. I guess we have to trust that it does :)
    Hope you're having a great week!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha-larious! The only thing funnier was watching you act out the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love just about everything about the area where we live, excepting Three Mile Island. I adore the farmers markets, the farms with all the fresh, beautiful, locally produced food, the church sponsored thrift stores, the neat old buildings and, of course, the wonderful people...I think I could go on forever. Sigh. I just love it here!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say