Pages

Hang ten - salon style art wall

Tuesday, August 16, 2011


I fell in love with Salon style art displays years ago when, by a lucky chance, Jon and I found ourselves on a whirlwind tour of Paris. Almost everything about that city was intoxicating and I was smitten. We have always loved art so heading to the Louvre and to the Musée de l'Orangerie was a must. Unfortunately the Orangerie was closed for renovations which would take 6 years. I really wanted to get to that museum but Jon promised he'd take me back there someday.

Public art exhibits were held annually or bi-annually in Paris beginning in the 1700's. There were other art exhibits but this was the beginning of the public exhibit and was held at a room in the Louvre, the Salon Carré. It was an efficient way to group many works of art. I believe that is where the term originated for "Salon" style art.

Today this style of display has become popular within homes. Although it is planned out, the arrangement gives more of a collected-over-time feel. While some can be more cohesive with matting and frames, I prefer a more eclectic approach. I think it reflects a little more the true personality of our family.

So this is the current state of a small wall in the office. Once I find the perfect family photos to place in some of the frames, except the large one - that stays open for memos since this is chalkboard paint, it'll finally be complete.




Have a great day!

linking to Just a Girl

2 comments:

  1. My BFF's daughter got to Paris. Lucky girl. I would love to go there some day. I guess that is now on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say