Pages

Beware of the book

Wednesday, September 28, 2011


It's Banned Books Week here in the United States.

In a nutshell, It's an annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment. Either way, I think it's ok to protest something you don't like whether it's a book or not being able to read that book. But as for me, if we don't want our child reading something then we would make that rule in our home and not make others conform to our way of thinking. We haven't had to do that yet and don't see that we will in the future.

These are some of the most banned and/or challenged classics, some of them being my favorite books.

1. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
3. The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
4. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
5. The Color Purple, by Alice Walker
6. Ulysses, by James Joyce
7. Beloved, by Toni Morrison
8. The Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
9. 1984, by George Orwell

11. Lolita, by Vladmir Nabokov
12. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck

15. Catch-22, by Joseph Heller
16. Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
17. Animal Farm, by George Orwell
18. The Sun Also Rises, by Ernest Hemingway
19. As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner
20. A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway

Also on the list of banned or challenged books are Twilight (Series), Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Anne Frank: The Diary of a young girl, Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America and many others.

Have you read any of those mentioned? You rebels, you!



What is your take on it all?

7 comments:

  1. wow I must not be that cultured because I haven't read in full any of those books. And I am sure you are right about people not being as annoyed as I think they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read them all except "The Color Purple" and "As I lay dying..." and glad I was able to read them all !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who decides? I've read most of them but have forgotten them over time, guess I will have to re-read a few to remain a rebel. I did re-read Gatsby this summer, and now I am reading The Paris Wife (Ernest Hemingway's first wife) so maybe I will want to re-read the Hemis. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy,

    Hi!
    That's where I am unclear. The American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom receives lists of hundreds of challenges from libraries and schools across the country.

    It seems that libraries have advisory boards that will determine if the complaint about a book is valid. I think their (people who challenge) hearts may be in the right place but it gets into censorship so usually the challenge is overturned.

    It can be a lengthly process to ban a book. Schools can do it easily by just not ordering the books that parents are complaining about.

    Well, you know what I think - Stay a rebel, Peggy, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read a lot of them too. I haven't ever read any Hemingway, though. I really love Steinbeck but I am not sure why "East of Eden" isn't on there. I also haven't read any Dickens. There is something about Victorian novels that irritate me to no end.

    Lolita is disturbing. I only made it halfway through before putting it down for the last time.

    What happened to 10 and 13?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only read To Kill a Mockingbird last year. I'm totally not cultured I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather - you're fine. I haven't read them all either and have forgotten the rest.

    Nonna - I need to read those as well!

    Carrie - I love Steinbeck. When we lived in Monterey, we walked all over the places that he wrote about - loved it! And you're right, Lolita is disturbing. The ones that are missing did not have enough data to support their slot so they were omitted.

    GofE - Did you like "To Kill a Mockingbird?" I don't think how many books you read deems one cultured. I think how well one treats others is more defining. So I would say you are the most cultured!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say