Pages

I'm stumped - coffee table idea

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I was really happy to see Jon rolling these huuuge stumps down the hill behind our house. Our neighbor gave us the wood from the trees he took off of his property. We have about 10 of them which we'll eventually chop up into fire wood and use one as the chopping block.

I thought we could rent a splitter but Jon bought an axe, saying that it was too good of a workout to pass up - think Rocky Balboa in Rocky IV. Remember when he trained in Siberia by chopping wood and all?

I really want the smaller one {pictured above} to look more like this {below}. I've been trying to pull away the bark. It's super thick so we'll have to chisel it away. I'm not sure if we can do it.

But now that the carpet is gone in the family room, I'm not as concerned with spills so I need to have a coffee table down there. And since we like natural elements, this fits the bill. It's a good thing it will be in the basement {if it works out} so we can roll it in the house. I think it would fall through the floor if it were upstairs. These puppies are heavy.

image via House Beautiful

5 comments:

  1. How exciting! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are going to be beautiful Laura Lynn !!!
    I remember similar coffee tables made of huge logs or giant pieces of driftwood sanded down and finished or left natural and finished in the 1960's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh, those would be beautiful.
    Hurry and post a picture of the finished product! I'm excited for you.

    It would really be cool to do something like that with an old tree that had been in a yard for years. Have a memento for all the family or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would make a beautiful table! Good luck while you make it. Hope you will post the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the stump idea. Way to RRR.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say