Pages

A humbled Thanksgiving

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Last night after I picked up Jon from work, we went to Moe's to have a little date night. While we talked over our "Overachiever" tacos and chips & guac and all kinds of salsas, I remarked that the parking lot at the hotel wasn't very full. He told me it was a slow day all around with the exception of a few guest issues but nothing too exciting.

And then he told me of a guest who checked in for 30 days. He said she was really nice, just a very humble type whose husband seemed very kind too. I asked what she was checking in so long for. He said that she starts her first round of chemotherapy on Thanksgiving morning and then everyday for 30 days.

My heart sank. Suddenly, my little frustrations of the week seemed so insignificant. They are. And I have no reason to complain. Everyday between kids, jobs and other responsibilities, I have a list of places to be and people to see and I do them without even thinking about any obstacles. And when there are obstacles, it's nothing that I can't work around. Nothing that would sideline me for 30 days or more anyway. And if there is something that's getting to me, I know I have my family and a couple good friends to lean on and that's all I need. Really, for me, it just boils down to that. I could list specific blessings and thoughts on thankfulness but after family and all that encompasses, it just seems less important for me to do so.

I am just thankful for the everyday with them.


Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your day!


1 comment:

  1. Wow. Nothing like being yanked back to reality and priorities.

    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say