Pages

Out with the old...armoire

Thursday, December 15, 2011



I am sitting amidst a ton of stuff.

I recently sold this armoire. Well, gave it away is more like it. Every craft item, fabric scrap and yardage, buttons, frames, vintage paper, other ephemera and memorabilia that was housed within it is now sitting on the floor.

I hated to part with it but after much consideration, I really didn't need it anymore. When I weighed what kind of family heirlooms really matter to me, it's not the furniture so much. I have other things that 1) take up less room and 2) bring me more happiness to look at, feel and remember where it came from and how my mom displayed or used them.

It will also be easier to pass those things along to my kids. And honestly, antique furniture will always be up for grabs. They seem to have about a 7 year cycle or so. But my grandma's candy dish she received as a wedding present will not be something that can be replaced. Those are the heirlooms that matter most to me.

As for the armoire, it has a new home in a Pennsylvania farmhouse getaway just waiting for guests to hang their clothes for a weekend's stay. And I couldn't be happier about that. Now all of the items that I have to figure out what to do with, well, that's another story.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is beautiful.
    I think it would have been hard to part with.

    Yikes....now you have stuff you have to find a place for.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say