Pages

Mash-up of topics

Monday, January 30, 2012

Has it really been over a week?

It has all just escaped me. It's been so busy. I didn't even get to sit here once and write about all the things that were on my mind. A lot of things have taken a back seat to the job lately. That's why I am taking most of the day off to catch up on all my domestic duties (translation: the house is a wreck) so I'll just highlight a few topics from last week and mash 'em all up.

Family: We were able to see Belén play basketball at a home game which was great. She scored 3 points. Jon forewent his bowling night with the guys from church to see it. I didn't ask him to.

Blair and I mother/daughter double dated with friends to see Beauty and the Beast 3D. Blair declared it was the best date ever. Pretty much was.

Charley went to an 8 year-old's birthday party. The girl's birthday request was to go to McDonald's and have Charley over. She's a hit.

Reese is back in school. He was out a whole week with a high fever. The neighbor girls are happy. They've been knocking on the door ever since.

Trae-man is still the same. So much fun.

I am editing my brother's book. I think he has a best-seller there.

Personal: I squeezed in time for a facial. It was the first time ever that I've had one and I am SOLD! Have you had one? I know I'm late to the party but it was fabulous. That must be how the other half lives.

My hubby bought me this book. It's totally design inspiring. I take it all over the house with me so when I have a minute to sit and look through it, it's right at my fingertips. It gave me the boost I needed to get working.


I made a quick stop at the Thrift shop. It's been ages (for me anyway) but I scored a really cool side table. All the way home it smelled like fresh paint and gave me a headache (translation: it made me high.)

NFL Football playoffs: The games were really good this year but I was hoping for the Ravens and the 49ers in the Superbowl. Actually I was hoping for the Seahawks and anybody...at least there will be some good commercials.

Local/National Headlines: Joe Paterno, the long-time head football coach for Penn State that was relieved of his duties a few months back - If you don't know about it, you can read the interview that he gave just before he died. I think the bottom line is that although he probably truly regretted not doing more, he washed his hands of it once he told his superiors, plain and simple. If you knew of an incident so vicious, involving someone that worked for you, and then saw him still on the job and working with a charity that helps underprivileged youth, some of the most vulnerable of all, wouldn't you go to your superiors and say, "Hey, what's up with that? Why is he still around? What's happening with the investigation? What did you do with the information?" The program, not the victim(s), was protected.

The latest debate: I hear a lot of sound bites but no explanation on how they are going to implement changes. Just HOW are we going to pay for all these things they are promising? Does anyone else wonder that? Everybody keeps leaving that part out. Speaking of pay, we filed our taxes and the exemption for a dependent child is huge this year. This could be the last year for the current tax rate structure which has been in place since 2003. It might not be worth it to work as much as I do and just go back to one income. We'll see what happens in November.

Pets: I took our sick dog to the Dr. and now she's back to her crazy self. I should have become a Veterinarian; they charge a small fortune. It's worth not having her gnaw her paws off anymore, though.

Professional: I have been helping to put together this Ladies Night. It's proven to be a lot of work but should be fun. Come, won't you?


Behind the lens: I'm still working on the latest photo session from the Train station. I've lined up a real live bunny and some chicks for Children's Easter portraits. That should be interesting. I made it clear that I don't want to keep them, just borrow them for a day. I want to explore doing pet photos this year. First up, Alpacas! Again, that should be interesting. Do they spit? Or is that a Llama?? I forget.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You have been busy.
    It sounds like a lot of fun! The ladies night out.......wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think alpacas spit, but could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say