Pages

Please don't take my Kodachrome away

Friday, February 10, 2012



Sadly, sometimes with progress and invention, a few of the good old things fall by the wayside.
Such is the case with Eastman Kodak. Founded in 1881, Kodak was synonomous with photos and was well-known for its Brownie and Instamatic cameras and famous film boxes. But they couldn't keep up with the competition in the 1980's and the rapid pace of digital technology, which ironically, they invented.

Back in 1975, using an electronic sensor invented six years before, an engineer named Steven Sasson who was one of the company's engineers, created the first digital camera. It was the size of a toaster and was 1 megapixel.

Although Kodak spent billions developing the photo technology inside most of the cellphones we use today, they were reluctant to give up their own reliance on film. I think they had invested so much money into it, that it was hard to risk it all. Their rivals like Canon took the opportunity to get a hold on the digital era.

I tried as long as I could, Kodak. I held on to my two film cameras for a long time even though I had a Canon DSLR. I edited our high school yearbook with some of those images I captured on film. I still have the proof sheets of those days. I even have two Kodak digital cameras and a digital frame as well. I keep the little pocket camera in my purse for its ease of use when I don't want to miss something in my daily travels. But little ol' me had to change with the times too. I wish you could have also. All the best ~a long time fan.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that's progress but I loved my Brownie and instamatic cameras, also my Poloroid Swinger camera. Seeing digital photos instantly is nice but remember the excitement of putting a roll of film in to be developed and then having to wait ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was cleanIng out a drawer last week and found 3 rolls of undeveloped film. I'm so excited to take them in and see what they are.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say