Pages

Birthday thoughts

Thursday, March 29, 2012

I enjoyed another birthday on Tuesday. While I don't really talk about them or ever plan on something for my birthday, this one was especially sweet.

A friend treated me to lunch which did my soul a world of good. I don't know why I don't do that more. And I read sweet birthday wishes from friends near and far.

Belén and Charley had treats and flowers ready for me when I returned home.
(The treats were gone by the time I took a picture.)

Reese made me a ceramic turtle at school and said that he protected him all the way home on the bus. As I stepped out of the car, the turtle fell to the ground. Luckily it was only his leg that broke and in a way that can easily be repaired.

Blair made a big silhouette of herself and Trae showered me with "I love you's" and "Happy birthday" all day long and would find random things around the house to give me. I love handmade things, especially from my children.

For dinner we went to a local family restaurant and as everyone was talking, laughing, and just being goofy, I sat back and scanned their faces. Any doubts I had about all I wanted to accomplish by the time I had kids or by a certain age and feeling that I may have let some years slip by, washed away in that instant.
My most important work was in that room.

I may never get to all that I wanted but that's ok. I have plenty of time to do a few and that is good enough.

3 comments:

  1. I was actually waiting for a time just as this to say, when all the cake is gone and the balloons have popped, who is there to wish you a happy day and tell you how great you are? I am that's who, I actually don't tell people anything special on their birthday so that I can make the party last longer by reminding them on a later day how great they are. Haha well that is stretching the truth a little. I am so sorry that I missed your birthday. But did want you to know that I am so grateful that I have gotten to know, now don't be embarrassed but I tell peeps all the time how cool I think you are. You are really a neat lady and I love your creativity and your understanding towards others. And I am so happy to have a new friend in you. Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Laura Lynn, that was such a sweet birthday...beautiful and true thoughts about your loved ones. The most important work you will ever do are within the walls of your own home !!!

    I also loved homemade presents from our children when they were young. I have a few of those treasures in my china closet that I take out, touch and remember...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it was a great birthday. I love the turtle.

    Happy belated to you.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say