Share it

Monday, July 2, 2012

Back to the cutting board - DIY


This summer has been amazingly busy so far. My day job is occupying so much of my time and mind. Truthfully, I am at a crossroads but I have no doubt that a solution will come.

So right now I am taking a little break from emails, info. packets, and talking with people on the phone to get to a few other things that I really like to do. I might die if I don't do that.

So...the other day I found an older wood cutting board. I have always noticed them in magazines and wanted a few of my own, like this.

Leaning against the window

via Elle Decor

under the shelves, next to the stove
Domino magazine

left side, leaning on wall

Domino magazine

I've seen them at antique malls and pass by, figuring I'd get them another day. But you know what happens when you think like that? Yep, you snooze you lose.

So I'm at the thrift shop (where else) and spot it, thinking, 'Hey that's got possibilites.' so I snatch it up, turn it to see the price (a whopping .99 cents!) and take it to the counter thus ending my self-imposed thrift store purchasing hiatus.

But I wanted a better patina and to make it food safe. So I pulled out my trusty mouse sander to smooth it and then wiped on just like Mr. Miyagi, using Tung oil that I use on my counter tops.

Now it has a nice, warm glow and is so safe you could lick food right off of it.

Have a great day!








Southern Hospitality

Knick of Time

7 comments:

AngelaECS at Number Fifty-Three said...

Great find and it looks wonderful after the sanding, etc.

chateau chic said...

Funny, I just did a post on bread boards too. Not very plentiful around here or maybe I've missed them when I wasn't looking for them.
Great post. Love your inspirational pics.
I'm happy to be a new follower, and hope you'll stop by,
Mary Alice

AngelaECS at Number Fifty-Three said...

P.S. I just nominated you for an award. Stop on by my blog for the details. Angela

Christie said...

You are seriously too cool for school! I wish I could spend a week with you foraging through thrift shops and doing fun projects!

Nonna Beach said...

Beautifully done Laura Lynn...Love it !!!

Cara-Mia said...

That looks beautiful! I'm hoping to find something like that at a thrift store soon, they look great in kitchens.

The Congers said...

Cool find, and a great price too!