Pages

In a nutshell - crafty acorns

Thursday, September 13, 2012

The weather has a crispness to it in the mornings. You know what that means - Autumn is near.

Trae and I took a walk to a church in our neighborhood so he could play on their playground. I heard the crunch underneath our feet as we walked along. The acorns are beginning to fall - one of my favorite times of the year. We picked up a few little specimens. They were still green and some were too small but soon there will be more to look for. There is one house that we like to walk by because they have a huge tree that drops the larger acorns.

Every year we gather them, put them in the freezer to kill any worms (which still elicits the question from whomever opens the freezer, "Why is there a bag of acorns in the freezer??") Do they not know me at all??

I always end up putting them in a glass vase for a little decoration. I also get a branch and hot glue the leaves and acorns back on it and put it in the vase full of acorns that act as a filler.
It's exactly what my mom would do except she'd send us out to gather filberts and walnuts that fell from the trees lining our driveway.


Maybe this year I should switch it up and make some felted wool acorns?



Some are just so cute you could eat them.




How about painting them?


Or maybe I should send acorns to heads of state like John and Yoko to plant as a symbol of peace?




Whatever their use, they sure are cute little suckers.

Which acorn project would you try?

(The heads of state thing might not work but the others are promising!)


2 comments:

  1. We used to pick up acorns, but I hated always finding them a few days later with worms or magots in them. Now I know to put them in the freezer. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally inspired picked up some acorns today.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say