Pages

Weekend docu watching

Thursday, February 28, 2013


Pretty much every weekend you can find Jon and me watching a documentary or two on the Kindle. While the kids are on the Xbox we're taking a little time browsing categories to see what looks good.

I watched a few by myself this week so I thought I'd share some of my favorites.

If you're missing Downton Abbey, the 2009 docudrama, The Queen, might fill a British void. It shows Queen Elizabeth II at different points in her life which was portrayed by a different actress in each episode. The first one, of course, is a little scandalicious.

source
 
Speaking of Queens, The Queen of Versailles is an American documentary that depicts Jackie and David Siegel, owners of Westgate Resorts, and their family as they build the largest and most expensive single-family home in the United States, The Versailles house. It shows how the recession hit them personally and the crisis they face. It was a Sundance hit in 2012. You can even buy the house here for oh, mere millions.

source
And since I am on some sort of unintended royal theme, you can't forget the American royal family, The Kennedy's. The Lost Kennedy Home Movies tell the story of the children of Joe and Rose, as they grew up in the 1930s and 40s and through the last weekend that John and Jackie spent with their children before the assassination in Dallas. There are behind-the-scenes footage and never-before-seen home movies filmed by Robert and Ethel Kennedy in the early 1950s. I confess I have always been a fan of the Jackie/John F. Kennedy mystique and can't get enough of seeing young Caroline and John.

source
 
The Queen of fashion, Anna Wintour, is the subject of a great 2009 documentary, The September Issue, which chronicles the staff and the Vogue editor-in-chief's work on the then, largest ever issue. She comes across much more subdued than the character that was supposedly modeled after her in The Devil wears Prada. I find her skillfully decisive which is a quality I admire. The Creative director, Grace Coddington, is a genius and I love that she'll go to bat for her vision. The clothes and photographs - oh yeah, love it all.

source
 
Happy viewing!
 
I'll be back for some fun thrift store scores this week and I barely spent anything...

1 comment:

  1. I love docu dramas too! We watched one called The First Grader that was really good...on Netflix. At least it was based on a true story. I enjoy reading your blog! Melody

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say