Pages

Painter's tape zig zag vase - a quick DIY

Saturday, March 16, 2013

For our anniversary in 2011, we spent a weekend in DC and went to a Mexican restaurant at the Washingtonian center in Rockville. There I saw over sized zigzag (or chevron) striped pottery and wanted some of my own. Some were shaped like ginger jars and some were 4 feet tall floor vases. Ever since then I was on the lookout for large vases to spray paint. Nate Berkus came out with some last year for Target but I missed out on them.


So a while ago I found this blue green vase at the thrift shop for around 4 dollars and knew it would be great for my diy project. The color is perfect for Spring so I didn't want to alter that and commit to painting over it but I still had to have my stripes.



The solution was to spray paint Blue painter's tape and use that for the stripes as opposed to painting the vase. I unrolled a few feet of tape and stuck the end to a post on the deck while holding the rest of the roll and spraying what I had unraveled. It took about 15 seconds. By the time I walked back up the stairs to the house, the tape was dry.


I had already used the plain painter's tape to make the design on the vase so I just put the spray painted tape right over it and trimmed where it needed. It looked too thick that way so I took off the tape I used as the guide underneath and put the gold tape back in place. Because it's low tack, it was forgiving and easy to use. It's not perfect but it's temporary and I can add more rows, change the thickness of the tape and its color.

Now I'm on the hunt for more so I can do a grouping and am thinking up ways to use spray painted tape.



And until I find a more suitable place for it, I'll just let it glam up the tv.




Have a great day!
xo
Laura

5 comments:

  1. Cool idea!
    It turned out lovely.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO pretty! aqua and gold is one of my favorite color combos! it looks awesome on this vase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I am so going to make this!!! I am here from CB&BP Friday Five! Happy to be a new follower :]

    XO
    PG
    The Parlor Girl

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say