Pages

To float on your river

Thursday, March 14, 2013

“I believe in going with the flow. I don't believe in fighting against the flow. You ride on your river and you go with the tides and the flow. But it has to be your river, not someone else's. Everyone has their own river, and you don't need to swim, float, sail on theirs, but you need to be in your own river and you need to go with it." ~C.Joybell C.

As I read this quote I was instantly reminded of those lazy days of summer in my youth where my family or friends and I would grab big inner tubes and head to the Washougal River. It seemed that everyone had inner tubes in their garages, just waiting to be used for summer. I don't even know if they make them anymore.

The river water was icy cold. It took our breath away as we'd jump in. Each of us would hop up on our own tube, with our legs and arms dangling over the rounded sides and let the current take us down the river. Occasionally we would outstretch our arms and hands when another person was floating by. For a minute we'd clasp hands but as one of us was going faster than the other, we'd let go and meet up down stream.

The current was nice; neither too swift nor slow. When the current would die down at one spot we could hop off the inner tube and easily make it to shore. We'd always watch out for each other, though, to make sure no one tired or was left behind so we could start the trek all over again.

So as I read the quote, I could identify with it but I had to add to it. We are each on our own journey and must go with the tides and flow that is life because fighting against the current is tiring and counterproductive, of course. That doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't fight against something that is harmful or unjust. That would just be wrong. But for the things that are thrown at us, that we really can't control, we do have to do our best, go with it and hope that the waters calm at some point. I believe - no, I know that in those times there are people who will float out to us and outstretch their hand, clasp ours in theirs for a moment and give us strength to continue and make sure we're not left behind. Even when you feel like you are going with it, there will be someone that can relate or at least try to relate and will see what you need even when you can't. It's pretty amazing.

So let them float out to you.



A bridge over the Washougal River
via

1 comment:

Let's hear what you have to say