Pages

Facebook thrift

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Tis the season for flea markets and garage sales. If you've only read a couple of posts on this blog you know I am always up for antiquing and thrifting.

Recently I joined a group on Facebook that buys and sells household goods and antique or vintage items. It's great because you can sell exactly what you're asking for or close to it rather than completely giving it away at a garage sale.The best part is that there are also people looking out for what other members of the group want.

Just the other day I put out a call for vintage thermoses and within minutes I had a few people giving me leads. When I met the seller she said she hadn't even thought about listing them but then saw my post and remembered she had one that was exactly as I described. It made me really happy; how those little things fall into place.

So this week I put up a few items and had a good return on investment or ROI. They were: an old Kraft cheese box, a 1950's butter dish, vintage Pyrex and a globe. These items were literally sitting on a shelf in the closet. It was so much easier and quicker than Craigslist. So if you want a decent return or are looking for something in particular, find yourself a local group on Facebook and have fun!

*The pictures were taken with my phone which explains the quality. They sold so quickly I didn't even bother taking a picture with my real camera. ; )




8 comments:

  1. What a great tip!

    I've been buying up globes for an art project! Yours would have been perfect!

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't wait to see your project!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this tip! I have so many things to get rid of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I ask what group on FB you joined? I would love to unload some of the older stuff I have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I ask what group you joined on FB? I would love to make some room at my house, but the stuff is just too nice to give to Goodwill. So I have been hoarding it...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erika!

    It's called "Furniture, vintage and household" out of central PA. Where are you located?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura! I am located in Western PA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This group doesn't go that far since it's a pick up type of thing. But I'm sure there is something in your area! Let me know if you find one. There are also yard sale groups but I like staying in the household and antique range.

      Delete

Let's hear what you have to say