Pages

Leather belt book wrap DIY

Friday, July 17, 2015

In the digital age, I continue to be a collector of vintage books. I think the tactile sensation of having an old, beautifully decorated cover in my hands is one reason alone. Some I read and some I use for projects but those very special ones I like to have out on display, whether lining a bookcase or just around the room. I look for good spines, interesting color or script and topics of interest to name a few. When I find that all in one book, I feel I hit the book lottery. Yesterday I picked up A Natural History of Trees  from 1950 and it had beautiful drawings that would look great enlarged for big scale art.



So while I was collecting the books at the thrift store I also picked up a couple of leather belts to create another type of book display, a throwback to when school kids used book straps; DIY leather belt book wraps.  It's so simple and just looks great. I took a minute to switch the books around to figure out thickness and which colors complemented each other and just simply wrapped the belt around them. You could even wrap books in a collection by subject. A larger belt, of course, would work better if you wanted more than a double wrap. I also positioned the buckle on the spines when the books are upright and on top when they are displayed horizontally. I liked the look so much I'm going back for more today. The belts were .50 cents and the books $1.00. My advice is to find a pliable belt and with a nice buckle.





Three things I loved about this:
Every item is re-purposed
It took about 2 minutes
So inexpensive

Just stack and wrap.

Enjoy it!
~L




Linking to
The Shabby Nest

The New Mrs. Adventures

Dear Creatives

Nan Cherrow

The Girl Creative

Little Miss Celebration

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

The Charm of Home

Home Stories A to Z

Elizabeth and Co.

Natasha in Oz

Fine Craft Guild

DIY Showoff

Three kids and a Fish

Karen's Up on the Hill

Kammy's Korner

The Dedicated House

Flamingo Toes

The Robin's Nest

View from the Fridge

Posed Perfection

Sugarbee Crafts

My Girlish Whims

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Laura ~ I'm visiting from the Living with Style Link Party. I love this idea, and I love how the leather looks against the book covers! I can't wait to incorporate this into my fall decorating. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Me too - I have some books and new belts for fall and winter on standby!

      Delete
  2. That is a cute look! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so simple and so perfect. LOVE IT !!! Thank you so much for linking this up at SHARE IT sunday linky party. A new party will open again today and I sure hope you'll join us again. PINNED you, btw, as it is... well... THAT GOOD! ~ Rose, http://www.FineCraftGuild.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I will be joining in on your parties. They are chock-full of great stuff!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea!! Love it!! Thank you so much for sharing on Making Memories Mondays!!!! See you tonight! :-)
    Cathy@threekidsandafish{dot}com

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say