Pages

Auctioning produce

Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm back from the produce auction and what a fun experience this was. After passing an Amish schoolhouse, farms, rows of corn being harvested and horses and buggies, we came upon a large building. On the inside I found rows of flat beds which held all kinds of fruits and vegetables.

The largest pumpkin was 140 lbs. I didn't hear what it sold for.



The auctioneers went to every flat bed and started the fast bidding. Everyone gathers around the one in which they are interested and the game begins. I am always up for an auction and the excitement that builds when you are bidding on something you really want. This is the first produce auction I have been to and the excitement was still there, friendly farm style.

There were many ornamental gourds to choose from as well. They were short on flowers and plants being the end of season and all so I'll remember to try next year.

And what did I bring home?


14 orange pumpkins, 8 small white pumpkins,
a box of gourds, a box of tomatoes, 4 acorn squash and 4 zucchini.
All for 21 dollars and some change.

Why so many?

Reese has been brain storming business ideas and is always thinking of something to do. When I saw all of the pumpkins I knew a stand would be perfect for him. I'm excited that he wants to do something new so we'll see how it goes.

And if it doesn't work, well then, I'll have a great display!
Either way, there will be photos of his business venture.

Fall is in the air and I love it.
Don't you?


5 comments:

  1. That seems like such a fabulous idea!!!!

    All of that for 21.00? Wow.

    I'm off to buy me some tomatoes at probably just that amount alone.

    I look forward to seeing what is in the works!
    Love Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gourd!! I have never heard of a produce auction, so very cool. I'd have way too much fun in that place ;)
    All that for only $21? yeah!! Anxious to hear and see the stand Reese has. It will be amazing no doubt!

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how incredibly FUN does that look. I totally love Farmer's Markets, and wish we had a BIG one here (ours is small - we have lots of lettuce and tomato growers lol.) Your haul of pumpkins and gourds have put me in the mood to start hunting for pumpkin patches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is this and why have I been missing it? Will you get me the details?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like SO much fun. I asked Hubby and he said he had never heard of them doing one around our area. Wish they did. You did good.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say