Pages

Vintage cupcake picks - craft

Monday, May 10, 2010

For years I have been collecting ephemera. I love typography, old letters, music sheets, calling cards, perfume labels and the list goes on...they come in handy for projects.
*
For Blair's 3rd and 4th birthday, I made decorative picks to adorn her cupcakes. For this project I used old music books that I picked up for .10 cents. But because they were half off, I only paid a nickel. That was even cheaper than the retail price when the book was published in 1904. I could easily make copies from these but the paper is thin and easier to work with so it's my paper of choice.

I cut (four) 3x3 inch squares from the sheet music. I have also done 4x4 depending on what size rosette I needed. I folded each square accordion style. Easy, easy...

And then when all were folded, I folded them in half and secured them together with tape.
They looked liked tiny fans.


When all four were secured individually, I joined them all together with double sided tape to make one full rosette.


And then with the magic of a printer, I photocopied the perfume label from the *second picture above and cut it out of card stock. Then I made several wallet size photos from one of Blair's pictures and glued her picture onto the body in the perfume ad. I cut wings from scrapbook paper, added crepe paper and using double sided tape again, I secured it all to the front.
I taped a toothpick to the back to make it stand in the cupcake.

And that is how "Fairy Blairs," as said by Blair, were born.
Now I have requests from all of my kids to make fairies for their birthdays. The older ones want really funny ones for theirs so we are working on those images.

I have also strung rosettes together to make banners which look really great on gift packages
or anywhere you want to create a little interest - mantles, bookshelves, on a floral display - endless possibilities. I made one for Halloween last year and downloaded vintage script to make the word Halloween with each letter on a rosette.

It's such a simple adornment which takes very little time and money.
I wish I had a baby shower to throw for someone because I have a fun idea for that and am dying to make picks.
Have fun - you'll enjoy making them!

10 comments:

  1. So cute! I need to be more patient to do stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute and perfect for cupcakes! I so love Fairies! ~Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea for a birthday. I am sure they look darling on the cup cakes. I would LOVE to find some old sheet music. I think of all the old music I use to see and never grabbed up!

    I am inspired. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm following you from Follow Me Back Tuesdays! I hope you'll follow me back!

    Kim

    http://chubbycheeksthinks.blogspot.com

    These are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so creative! I'm jealous!

    Thanks for joining up Follow Me Back Tuesday! I'm your newest follower!

    http://boobiesbabiesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are simply precious. I love the added sheet music. What a cretive and fun idea. Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase Party. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following you from FMBT!! Love the blog cant wait to read more. Hope you can follow me back
    Confessions of Me: One Crazy Mom
    utahgrafffamily.blogspot.com

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am your newest follower from Follow Me Back Tuesday.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a great site. I am now following you. FMBT and here is my site: http://www.thewallworks.com/blog. Thanks and great site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are beautiful! visiting from new friend friday (-:

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say