Pages

Restoration Hardware Art - my way

Monday, May 3, 2010



For those of you that hate to see books destroyed, turn away.

I have a hard time parting with books, let alone rip them apart.

As I was looking through Restoration Hardware's catalogue, I came across this "objets d'art."
They cost $29.00 for each bundle of books. I wondered who in the world would buy this when you can just do it yourself? It couldn't be that hard.

So I decided to try it and the books would have to take one for the team.

I wasn't crazy for the look but I felt challenged to recreate this with thrift store books at a fraction of the price.

This picture courtesy of Restoration Hardware

I gathered up a few books - $1.00 each. Trae enjoyed stacking them on his little wagon. Note to self: old books = cheap toys.

As the RH catalogue says, the books are "liberated from their covers" which must be akin to burning bras or something. I first made sure the books were not going for thousands of dollars on Ebay. The most expensive one was $13.00. No big whoop I thought. So off with the covers!

Next, I took jute twine and tied it around the books. I wanted the lighter shade but I didn't have that and wanted to use what I had so this color would do. It was around $2.00 for the roll.

Five minutes later I had my own "objets d'art." I held them all together with one of Jon's boot laces. See what happens when your husband is golfing and fishing with his high school buddies out in WA state? (our home state) You take his shoelaces...

And then I put it on the shelf and suddenly I kinda liked it. I think it would look better en masse so there will be more on the way. And I'm going to buy leather cords to hold them together.

As a side note, the capiz flower candle holder was only .49 cents at the thrift shop and the name card inside of it was from my 1st grade field trip to the Portland Zoo and OMSI. There was a slide into the petting zoo area and we enjoyed going down it and watching the animals dodge us.


A goat came up to me so I petted him and he started to eat my name tag, that name tag. He was slowly getting closer to my neck when my mom realized I was yelling. She was in a tug of war with the goat but managed to get it out of his mouth.

She saved it for me and now a priceless memory has a place on the shelf.

29 comments:

  1. I love that picture of Trae's little hand and the books. Too cute. I never would have thought to do that myself. I just would have scoffed at the $29 job and left it at that. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at your creativity/ambition! i love all the ideas/finds you've posted on your blog.

    till next sunday in the mother's lounge...
    -p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by from the Monday Blog Hop to say hi. What a wonderful idea to use old books like that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So where in the Pacific NW did you call home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have thought to do that. Great job and it looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by! Love your pics too. I can't wait to tour your site. Let me know when it's ready. You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute simple craft! Thanks for sharing. Your pictures were so sweet. I'm off to pull some books out of the donate pile . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very neat idea! Has hubby missed his shoelace yet??
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome idea...thanks for sharing it at NTT! Hope you have a FUN day:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love decorating with book! Thanks for sharing at Anything Related!
    ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for coming by my blog earlier:-)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look, too. It's amazing what people will call d'art, isn't it? I hate ruining books, but I tore one up to make a wreath. Anything for the name of design!

    I'd love for you to check out my blog for a CSN give away! Have a wonderful day! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd say you met the challenge! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE it!! Great job......just stopping by from Friday Follow - love the blog. Hope you'll stop by and visit!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, there, visiting from FF, and I am now following you from on GFC as thrifty canucks.
    Please visit my blog and if you can follow me too at
    http://www.thriftycanucks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your "objets d'art" and the goat memory. Those are the "signs of life" that I love in decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Visiting from Friday Follow.
    We are your newest fans through google friend connect. Please visit Mom to Bed by 8 and do the same.

    http://momtobedby8.blogspot.com/2010/05/friday-follow-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look fabulous! Love them! Would love to have you stop by The Sunday Showcase Party if you get a chance. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! It's amazing how something so simple is simply stunning! Love it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Belated FF!

    I'm your newest follower! If you get a chance, please follow me too at http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Laura Lynn, I just adore what you have done with these books! They look fabulous! I'll be featuring these today. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. You can pick up a featured button if you like. Thanks again! I need to find some old books now! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cool looking. I need some new shelf art ideas. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw these in Restoration Hardware and thought I could do that! Yours look amazing! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look amazing - I just love decorating with books and these have so much character! Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like this idea. I saw it in RH also. I haven't been brave enough to liberate the books I have from their covers.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I ADORE this.

    Please stop by and enter my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful project. I tried this myself and linked you on my post. Thanks for the inspiration!

    http://studioonethirteen.blogspot.com/2010/06/restoration-hardware-inspired-objects.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok this is a fabulous idea! I love restoration hardware style but it is spendddddy! Thanks for showing us this. I saw something about OMSI in Portland. That is where I am from.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say