Pages

Thrift store picks and uses - week 3

Monday, March 22, 2010

Today brings another installment of my weekly Thrift store round-up. I have a lot of fun going out each week and seeing what I can find that will prove to be useful around here. I am always reminded when I go that useful doesn't have to cost a lot. One of the best parts I think. Oh and did I mention I always have fun?

From my excursion I brought home another plate and candle holder. The plate's painted design was wearing off so managed to take it off from the center but I still need to scrape off the rest.

I loved its detail and knew I could turn it into another cake/dessert stand. My kids could not wait for me to take the picture before they started helping themselves...

Hangers.
I love them and am always on the look-out for good, vintage hangers. I love their lines, typography and hinges. They are usually well made and always have a nice, 'made in the USA' stamp. Love it.

Not only do I use them for clothes but the main reason is that I like to use them to hang up the artwork that Reese so proudly brings home. It's easy and looks cool. It doesn't hurt that he likes it too. Who knew a .25 cent purchase could make someone so happy?
Self portrait - spot on.
And rounding us out are these sweet, little school chairs.
I couldn't pass them up.
I am a sucker for kids' items and chairs top my list. When I won't be using these as picture props they will be used by three of my little ones, whom have already struck their claim, but they are sturdy enough for adults.
Surprisingly heavy too.
I still need to finish cleaning them up but they've already been used to reach the sink, sit on to read a book, look out the window and have been pulled up to the ottoman for snack time (and to watch the yellow sponge of course.)

I'm already planning my next trip and look forward to seeing what's in store, especially now that flea market time is here. If you make any great finds, let me know and if you have any questions on an item or how to re-purpose it, just ask. I'm sure we can put our heads together and think of something.
Happy hunting!

20 comments:

  1. I never ever would have thought to use a hanger that way. And I have to say that I L-O-V-E it!! It looks sooo cool and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a great bunch of finds...love that frugal shopping !!! You've inspired me...I've got to get to the Thrift Store this week !

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have some serious great idea! creative love it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo it looks like you got some great finds! I love going to thrift stores, they have the best stuff. Its funny, I just spring cleaned our closet and have a bag of hangers, some are like the ones you posted about! (my hubs inherited all his grandmother's hangers before I moved in) I was going to donate a bunch cause we already have alot, but now I'm going to fish out a couple so I can use it like you pictured! I love that! Hanging art pieces with them, so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the hanger idea! I just love thrifting...it really has become like therapy to me LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas! I love those old hangers. And the chairs are so cool!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your use of those great hangers. And those chairs have me drooling. Stop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the hanger idea! :)

    And, I might steal your "thrift store pick of the week" post idea, if you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Brenda and I'm a friend of Mary Whitings. I love your blog and have a question. How do you get the plate to stay on top of the candle holder? It's such a creative idea and made a beautiful cake plate... I'd love to make one myself. Please let me know. My blog address is www.brendaoxford.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laura,

    Thanks for getting back to me. I can't wait to find a pretty plate, especially with Easter coming. I added you to my friend list. I hope you don't mind. I love your ideas. It will be fun getting to know you.

    Thanks again,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a creative way to use those hangers! I love to see out of the box ideas like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet score! Especially loving those chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My Goodness! I LOVE the hanger Idea and plan to put that into use RIGHT AWAY. Love it!

    I also like the pictures hung up on twine with clothespins. I'm going to get to that today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What delicious finds! I adore what you've done with your new pretties! ...adorable as can be. Hope to see you back at my place. I have become a follower and hope you will do the same. until later...

    ReplyDelete
  15. The art hangers are killin' me - nice job! I like the little hands reaching for the goodies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hangars for artwork! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just came across your blog and I love it! I love all your vintage finds! I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world...I decided to click my way on over here. I love the idea of using the hangers to display your children's artwork. Very thrifty and cute!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say