
When I was younger, I never really liked New Year's Eve. I think because I worried that the next year couldn't possibly top the last. I just hated saying good-bye to the fun memories I had made that year. But each year did top the other in many ways so it always turned out well.
My mom would always tell me that there was never a need to worry about anything. Some things are just out of your control and you just have to adapt and roll with it. I was always happy with that outlook.
Where some could say that's not being serious enough, I say it's a way to have less wrinkles.
I remember hearing in a speech given at my high school graduation; a piece of advice that stuck with me all these years. I guess because it reaffirmed what my mom always told me. Sometimes even when you tell your kids something a million times, they'll hear the same thing from another person and it's like they heard it for the first time. That's happened to me already.
In this speech, the teacher said not to worry about what happened yesterday, last year, or even in 9Th grade. Move on. And when you're 30, do the same. That told me this "letting go" thing could be a lifelong endeavor.
My mom always said there will be better things ahead and bigger problems to deal with in your future. Learn to get over the little things now so you can better handle those bigger problems because they will come. And they did - job loss, sudden cross country moves, selling houses, miscarriages, death of parents.
But no one really gives you the how-to on letting go and moving on. So I asked my mom about that one time. She was the one person who I knew could tell me because she had more life experience. She said to just train your mind to move in a new direction. Even if you don't exactly know what you want at the moment, you know that whatever is dragging you down isn't working. Merely thinking about the possibilities for your life can get you excited about the future and will put a hop in your step. And then, you just may figure out what you want to do. It's never too late for that.
And then she said to live IN the moment and to enjoy where you are now. Even if you think that your "now" is not that much, there is something to be grateful for and can enjoy. Even our worst days or what we perceive as worst, may be so much better than the best day for others in the world. I think the way our parents thought can/could have a lot to do with our outlook so I am glad that hers was bright even during the storms. Life is so much easier. That advice always helped me and I only share it in case making changes and setting goals for 2011 are on your mind too.
So I do look forward to new years with enthusiasm and hope my kids feel like it's another beginning for them also, to be better and do better. I've said before that I am not a huge goal-setter. I just make goals with big, broad brush strokes for my family, like "being more understanding with each other" and "less yelling."
The details and opportunities on how to achieve those goals will present themselves over and over, I am sure. :)
I hope you have a Happy New Year and that 2011 will bring much fun, happiness and comfort to you.
If I can be of help in making sure that happens, please know that you can e-mail me and we'll chat.
Thanks for reading along this past year. I hope to continue the journey with you!
As always, I look to improve and welcome insightful ideas. So if you have any tips to add, please do.
Hugs,
LL
Oh me-gosh Girl, I just posted and came to visit you while I was online> And wow! We wrote very similar ideas! Why don't we live closer?? ;)
ReplyDeleteAnywho, excellent insight and perspective in your post. Just love it! I'm looking forward to reading more of your wisdom in the year to come!
Happy New Year! Take care, xoxo,
Ellen
Happy New Year~!
ReplyDeleteFor the last few years my feelings about the New Year have been with intrepidation. I sometimes am not ready for what lies ahead.
Thanks for this Laura! I linked to it on my blog because it was what I needed to hear. You are the best!
ReplyDelete