Pages

It's not you, it's me...

Monday, May 11, 2009

When I talk with Trae man,
I usually do so with some sort of baby talk. I admit it.

I call him Little guy, little man, Trae man, gooey (Charley named him that) squishy face, etc.
You get the idea.
Not wanting to leave out Blair, I call her Little Blair Bear or I'll ask her, "How's my baby girl?" when she wakes each morning. On this particular day as she curled up next to me on the couch, I commented on her cute face and asked her not to grow up, ever. I told her she could live with me and dad forever. We'll just make an apartment over the garage.

Jon doesn't know this. He looks forward to the day they turn 18 and are off to college. He's already gearing them up for scholarships hoping to ensure they have a place to go because he'll only have two plane tickets to Greece.

So thinking Blair would throw her arms around me with excitement, I smiled big and waited for the crush. The arms came around me and she said with a disappointing tone, "Oh mama, I'm really sorry. I can't be Little Blair Blair anymore. I'm Big Blair Blair now." ('Blair Bear' is a tongue twister for her so she says Blair Blair.)
She went on to say, "If I'm little Blair Blair, I won't be able to dance everybody cut footlooose."

I said, "So, you don't want to be little forever?"
"No," she said
"And you don't want to live with mama forever?"
"No, I just want to dance. I'm sorry."

It was as if she was letting me down easy with the "it's not you, it's me" speech.
And with that she patted my head and turned back to her cartoons.

2 comments:

  1. In class Blair always talks about Trea as Trea man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... That is so cute. Todd is already growing up faster that I'm ready for myself

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say