Pages

On the menu

Monday, August 31, 2009

(the picture that I took of this meal was not uploading well so I had to print it, scan it, save it and then upload which lost some resolution so I opted for the magazine shot instead.)

One of the most highly requested dishes of my kitchen - Chicken meatballs with Pomegranate Sauce served with pita wedges and seasoned Greek yogurt, butter noodles and salad.

I got this recipe from my BHG Magazine. It has been a big hit with the family. I altered it a bit to fit our taste. The recipe calls for Lamb but I use Chicken or Turkey. I have never used a full 2 lbs. of meat and it feeds 7 of us just fine. (Maybe that's because of the pasta and salad I serve as well.) Worrying that a full 1/4 cup of mint would be too much, I just chop a few fresh leaves. Naan bread is really good and I actually like it better than the Pita bread.

I've used 100% POM juice and I've tried a blend of Pomegranate juice (the kind with apple or other juices mixed with Pomegranate juice) My kids like it better with the blended juice.
I love Greek yogurt and it's the only kind I use in recipes. I never measure how much garlic or mint to season the yogurt with - I just throw it in and it's always good.

In order to stretch the dinner, I serve up some whole wheat pasta and I've found that when everything kind of melds together, it becomes more like a sweetened version of Stroganoff, which is another fan favorite at Casa Montgomery.
As requested, I am adding the recipe...
Bon appetit!
1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 lbs. ground lamb/chicken/turkey
1 16-oz bottle pomegranate juice
1 tsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. snipped fresh chives
1 clove garlic, minced
Fresh mint leaves
Toasted pita bread
1. Preheat oven to 300 F. In large bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, mint, 2 or 3 cloves garlic, salt, and pepper. Add ground meat; mix well. Shape into 32 meatballs; set aside.
2. For sauce, in medium saucepan bring pomegranate juice to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until reduced to about 1/2 cup. Add sugar; stir to dissolve.
3. Meanwhile, in large skillet brown half the meatballs at a time in hot olive oil, turning to brown evenly. Transfer to large baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until instant-read thermometer registers 160 F.
In medium bowl combine yogurt, 1 tablespoon of the chives, and 1 clove garlic. To serve, drizzle meatballs with pomegranate sauce; sprinkle with remaining chives and mint. Serve with seasoned yogurt and pita wedges.
Let me know how it turns out!

4 comments:

Let's hear what you have to say