At the Plaka in Athens.
Jon at The Louvre
Laura visiting the Vatican.
Our train to Paris
Last night Jon asked me out on a date and took me to see the movie, "Julie & Julia."
His idea.
I say that because I want to give him credit for thinking of me. It makes me feel secure knowing that someone knows what I would like, especially the one who should know the most about me.
We took in a later show because we had other stuff to do around the house.
Jon bought me popcorn, water, Raisinets, Goobers and Junior Mints.
We didn't eat it all.
As a matter of fact, I am enjoying some raisinets right now. One of my pleasures of motherhood - hiding and enjoying a bit of candy anytime I feel like it. I'm sure the kids will sniff it out sooner or later. They have as keen a sense of smell and tracking skills as a Bloodhound. Except for getting dirty socks out of their room or finding that lost library book.
The movie was great. It was clever and interesting and a nice love story of sorts.
Now I want to dive into Julia Child's Parisian cooking. When we were at the Smithsonian we saw the recreation of her kitchen and all the vintage copper pots she used. It was fascinating.
I only have one copper pot of my own. Not vintage.
On the way home we talked about our own trip to France a few years back. We walked all over Paris as I pinched myself making sure I was there. The Louvre, the architecture, the fashions, the food...I was in love. I came home raving to my mom about their scarves and pashminas. My mom surprised me with a cashmere pashmina for Christmas that year. Sadly, I think it was lost in our move.
We both would love to travel abroad again and savor the flavors of Europe. As we walked the pretty Parisian streets, I saw people holding baguettes, wrapped in paper, tucked under their arm like a newspaper. I wanted a baguette. We were on the Champs Elysees and I did not see a patisserie. I finally asked where I could find a baguette and a nice person said to go off into the side streets and I would find one. So we did. They were lovely little cobblestone streets with shops closely lining their edge. Things like that make me giddy with excitement.
I saw a patisserie and the Parisians lining up to get their daily bread. I waited, nervously, knowing I would have to speak in French. I had a friend who spoke French so she wrote out things for me. So when the clerk asked what I would like, I was ready, hoping she didn't ask anything else because I only memorized one easy conversation.
Success! At least to my ears anyway...
I proudly held on to my baguette and we enjoyed it on the overnight train to Italy. ( That was a story!)
It was a little challenging to find the bread but I savored every little bit.
I don't know when we'll get back to Europe so I'm glad that we crammed as much enjoyment into our whirlwind trip as we could.
Just as in life, even though our days can give us some challenges,
we need to savor every little bit, filling them with as much enjoyment as we can.
I loved this. I didn't know you went to Europe with you husband. You guys look so cute. I miss you darling lady!!! We would have so much fun together. I wish we lived closer. Miss you!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a beautiful writer. It's almost like poetry to read your blog. Your last post was also beautiful. Thanks for being my friend. :)
ReplyDeleteWow! I didn't know that you had gone to Europe! And to Paris. I can't wait to go someday myself. :)
ReplyDeleteI am so excited to go and see Julie & Julia. I've read Julia Child's biography and am so interested in this movie.
Jealous I want to go to Greece so bad. Also I love your writing. I know I keep saying it but I see a book in your future and I'll be your editor, if you'll have me.
ReplyDeleteYour husband is so romantic! Awww...my husband is a workaholic and I plan all the getaways for our family. I hope one day soon I plan something dreamy like this for just us (minus our kids, lol). You wrote it like your get away was simply relaxing. So inspiring!
ReplyDeleteMay
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteAlysa - Yes, I wish we lived closer! I miss you too. Maybe next time you visit your parents, I'll meet you in D.C!
ReplyDeleteAmber, thank you for the beautiful compliment! We're all lucky to call you our friend.
Jenny, you were born to visit Paris! You would love it, and the movie too! Let's get together and craft something cool!
Mary, it's a deal! We could collaborate! And make sure you get to Greece someday. Words cannot explain how fantastic that trip was!
May, Your family is great! You inspire me to keep writing!
Comment deleted, sorry to whoever that was. Some advertisements for watches, I guess.