Today, Trae man, my 1 year old, was pretending he was a puppy. He drops to a crawl and scoots around with his tongue hanging out. I call him like a puppy and he scampers over and gives me big, slobbery kisses. It's his new cutest thing ever.
I call that a "wow" of motherhood. Wows are those little moments in your everyday life which bear you up and remind you that your work as a mother has rewards, no matter how small they seem. Maybe we don't even realize they are rewards - those times which cause us to remove ourselves from this fast paced world, for just a moment, and let our children, or others' children bring a smile to our face.
There are "woes" of motherhood, also. I have a few. More than a few. And because you might too, I'd rather not mention them. Not today anyway...
I'd rather focus on the "wows."
Reese came up to me last night and said he was all out of hugs. Arms outstretched, he waited for a re-fill. I wrapped my arms around him and snuggled for a bit. With a huge smile he said he was all filled up again and happily turned around to go back and play.
While I was doing some "circle cleaning," Blair was sitting on the couch. She watched me go around the room and said, "Momma, I love you. You're a beautiful woman." She was all dramatic like and tossed her hair as she said it. Laughing, I told her she could just stick around me all she'd like, yesiree...
More wows.
My friend's 7 year old boy was with us on Saturday. He played so well with the baby and Blair. I heard their giggles all day. I was impressed by his gentle nature. When it came time for dinner, Jon grilled us up some sirloin burgers, corn on the cob and we let them have ice cold root beer in bottles. It was a picnic after all. The neighbor boy came over to have a bite too.
After my friend's son ate, he patted his stomach and said, "That was some good burger!"
There was more chaos than usual that day but strangely, somehow it felt so nice. I considered it to be another wow of motherhood. Jon agreed and so it was a "wow of parenthood" - letting ourselves enjoy the kids' new decibels of laughter.
Did you notice that wow upside down is mom??
I hope you get wowed today.
Let yourself be wowed
and then tell me how!
This is starting to sound like Dr. Suess..
my son started college today and was wondering if his "mommy could drop him off." before he leaves to work, he lets me know he's leaving and texts me if he doesn't plan on coming straight home. a bunch of little things daily that i have never asked him to do lets me know that my 18 year old still loves his mama. i'm glad i have this one last year with my son before he goes on his mission. even as your babies grow, the WOW moments continue to warm your heart.
ReplyDeletethanks for brightening my day with this post.