Pages

The picture that started it all

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Actually it was a picture of beautiful Mt. St. Helens, but it was this picture of Belen Therese that I took when I realized I was on to something.
No one else at the time was doing much natural light photography, following kids around and capturing their sweet moments.
I remember this day so clearly. We were playing outside with "fairy god mothers," holding them up to blow the seeds all over. I thought it would be nice to capture this moment so I ran back inside the house to get my camera. I just followed her around the yard and had to work fast.
My 35 mm was a manual setting camera.

I had a little photography business in Utah for a few years which I started by accident. A friend saw my kids' photos and asked if I could take pictures of her children so I said "sure."
Since I knew how to hand tint also, (labor intensive!) I did that for her as well.
She gave the pictures out to her family for Christmas which her mother framed and hung in her office at work. Her co-workers commented on them and soon I was being asked to take more. Some were brides (a little nerve-racking), a wedding (very nerve-racking) a website (interesting) and a bunch of kids and families (fun).
I never really thought about making it full-time since I had a career that I loved. But the creative side of me, which is most of me, longed to do something like that.
One of my company's clients, with a large marketing firm, gave me some good advice that I locked in the vault in my head.
I valued his opinion; he was the marketing guru to the 2002 Olympics.
So finally, 10 years and 3 more kids later, vault unlocked, I am getting it together.
Stay tuned.












For a few more go here

7 comments:

  1. The pictures say more than a thousand words. You have a very artistic eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my kids just make retarded faces and i don't really know photography. teach me thy skills o yoda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks May!

    Mary - that's why I take hundreds of photos of my kids; I know I'll get at least 10 good ones. Ha, ha - yoda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job girl. I'm learning so much about you via the blog. You are so creative. I can't wait to hear all about your next adventure. I need to fill in the gaps before this so I understand where you are going. Will you come and take pictures for me???

    ReplyDelete
  5. AA Alysa - I have a ton of photos -Unfortunately many shot before the advances of digital so I didn't keep the others that I did. I gave them the pictures and negatives or I'd show you more.
    Yes, I will come see you! Duh..do birds fly??
    Then you can take me garage sale-ing and show me how you score the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pics Laura... sooo talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm dying for our shoot (was to begin with...but especially now)!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say