Pages

The eyes have it

Thursday, October 8, 2009

File this under, "Why does this always happen to me?"

If you know me, you'd know that I can often find myself in interesting situations with equally colorful and crazy interesting people.

There was the man in Maryland who thought I was a vampire, the Mall killer lady in Dallas and don't even ask about the nude-painting-artist-stalker in Japan!

So it didn’t surprise me the other day when I was visiting a grocery store and a series of events unfolded that had me asking the aforementioned question.

It began as I pulled in to the parking lot and thought I heard some shouting. I didn't see anything for a minute but when I got out of the car, I spotted an employee fighting with another employee. The one being yelled at was safely protected behind glass for the moment; the one yelling was stomping around having a tantrum.
I thought, “I hope that guy doesn't get killed when he comes out,” and then went inside to shop. After I went in, I heard a few people mention what they saw. So with my conscience speaking, I thought I had better say something just in case the incident escalated. Stranger things have happened.
So, when I saw a manager walking toward me, I casually said that he had an employee going nuts outside.
He said “Just now?!” I said “Yes” and he said, I kid you not, “Is it that guy standing right there behind the service desk?!” and he wasn't whispering.

He then made a large swooping gesture with his long arm, pointing right to the guy. It reminded me of the melodramatic "Bill O’Reilly like" arm swoop.
So much for discretion.

The guy at the desk looked up, like a spotlight had just shined in his eyes.
Our eyes met, (cue Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho music, reee...reee...reee) and I thought I was going to die.
He looked like a bull about to run in Pamplona, all snorting and hissing…I was the red cape.

I wanted to crack the manager but I just gulped and squeaked out a, “yyeess...”
Then I hurriedly grabbed the things I needed, got through checkout trying to inconspicuously look around, making sure he wasn't going to come up behind me and ran out the opposite door in which I came. I must've looked like the crazy, paranoid one then.

So, if I ever go missing – the short, googly eyed guy with a bowl haircut did it.

4 comments:

  1. Bhwahahahahahahahaha ...I needed a good laugh to get me through the rest of this day! Although, don't they say it's always the quiet ones, so you should be safe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to hear your crazy people stories. These are the things that make me happy in life. I'm calling later. Be prepared to speak and start with the Japanese nude painting stalker artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY WORD...I'd think twice before returning to that store. I'd always be worried I'd run into the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, wow. Now I want to know about the other stories.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say