Pages

Their Influence

Tuesday, October 20, 2009


Today I took Trae man out for a stroll. It was a nice break after having 4 kids running high fevers and waiting out the Ark-building weather.

It was a wonderful day. With the sun shining, the brisk air feeling good to breathe, leaves falling and the crunch of acorns beneath your shoes.

I asked Trae if he was having a nice time. He said "yep."

He wasn't able to ask that of me but I thought he would if he could.

I was in deep thought.
Thoughts that took me back to my mom,
like so many other times and always around holidays and decorating for the seasons.
She had "seasonal flair," I called it.
Like, amazingly good. I was always impressed by her creativity.
She had two famous lines when we would be out shopping. If an item was a great price, she'd say, "Oh, I couldn't make it for that -let's buy it!" or if the workmanship wasn't great, she'd say. "Oh, I can do better than that," and with energy and a studious face, she went about making something from all kinds of supplies. I called her the original Martha. And as I think about it now, probably "MacGyver" too.

This fall she would be happy to know that I am continuing the tradition of making corn husk dolls in their beautiful yet simple and unadorned, raw form - just like she did and just the way they were so gracefully displayed on our Thanksgiving table.

I am so thankful for mothers.

I hope they know their influence.

3 comments:

  1. OH...I'd just love to know how to make corn husk dolls. They are wonderful! Sounds as though your mom has passed away. I think hollidays are a special time to our hearts. We think about those we've lost in such tender ways.

    Have fun making the dolls.
    AND....Your pkg. will ship tomorrow. I've got to sew up something tonight. Sorry, unfortuneately I work full time, and my extra minutes I'm trying to get it all done. BUT....I'm almost done!!!!! And it's been fun thinking and shopping.
    Have a great day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I would LOVE to know how to make those! I wouldn't even know where to start!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love traditions! What a sweet way to honor your mother!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say