Pages

Collecting Q & A

Friday, July 23, 2010


I have been asked a lot lately about what types of things I look for when out thrifting or antique shopping. I have also been asked how I know when something is valuable or not and what my favorite things are to collect.

So I thought I would take the time to answer those questions.

I never set out to start a collection. I just found things that I liked and suddenly, after a few purchases, a collection was born. So buy what you like and work it in your home. Things always look better en masse than scattered about. And when it comes time that your taste has changed and you are finding other things, you'll have a whole collection to sell to someone else. I go through collecting phases so believe me, there is always someone looking for something and you might have it.
As for the value of an item, I never really know. It just comes from looking it up online and then getting a feel for the next item. I bought the cutest large, antique double stroller about 11 years ago to use as one of my picture props and I have had dealers offer me double what I paid. I am not parting with it though. I have never seen another one like it which is one of the reasons for its value.

Some things I like to collect:

1. Ironstone or transferware -
If you like this type of thing, try thrift shops since antique shops can be pricey. Always check the register mark on the back of the item. There are a lot of different variables with the register mark so just like all works of art, you have to train your eye to the characteristics of ironstone. It's usually heavier and often a creamy white. Some of the English makers were Spode, Wedgewood, J&G Meakin, Wood & Sons, Birks Bros. & Seddon, T & R Boote, Turner & Tomkinson. Ironstone wasn't marked until after 1813 so if it is not marked, it could be very old. If it says "iron ware" it is a reproduction.

2. Typography -
Letterman's letters, old rubber stamps, linens with monograms - I always look out for any initial of my family members. Just after I got married, I began to look for anything with a monogrammed "M" being that was my new last name initial. My favorite letter is my dad's varsity "M" for his high school. My dad gave it to me after I got married and I love it still. Typography has become a huge trend so it's easier to find more things now. But because of that, prices have gone up.

3. Vintage paint by numbers paintings -
I love their muted colors and the usual imperfection of the artist's work. I love that they are a bit of Americana. I tend to like landscape scenes. They are getting harder to find at thrift shops because of the demand. Ten years ago you could get them for a buck a piece at antique malls. Now they are on ebay and you have to pay a bit more. I saw one in a thrift shop recently and it was 27.00 buckaroos. Forget it. Try garage sales. I like to use them in the kids' rooms.

4. Vintage yard sticks -
They are a bit of America gone by. They were made to be useful but to also be a form of advertising. Some have hinges made of copper and fold up adding to their interest. They are great to hang on the wall to measure your children's height. I've seen them folded into a star for a country look, used as a backsplash in a kitchen, glued on to a ledge on a shelf, and made into a table top. My kids just like to open them up and fold them back, over and over. They are going for about $14.00 on ebay and at well-known flea markets. I have not paid more than $3.00 for any of them. So check your local thrift shop.

5. Anything that screams "homemaker" to me -
I love vintage aprons and have quite a few. My mom always had us wear hers when we were little and were learning to bake. I loved that. She also started me on vintage sewing items. My favorite is a bone needle holder that looks like a little doll. I also use vintage buttons and ribbons on projects. You can find these types of things rather inexpensively. My daughter has an old coffee can filled with vintage buttons that we bought for 1.00 at the flea market. Because these types of collections are small, they fit nicely into my sewing basket and don't get strewn about.

My advice: Collect the things you like. If you do, you'll find a use for it. Curio cabinets holding your treasures are kind of becoming a thing of the past. Use those treasures some way. There's no better way to polish the silver like using it - just don't put it in the dishwasher.

**One time I was listening to sports radio in SLC and Jerry Sloan's wife and high-school sweetheart, Bobbye, was on and talking about his doll collection. (Bobbye died after a courageous 6 year battle with cancer.) Jerry Sloan is the coach of the Utah Jazz. Of course the radio guys were having a good laugh about his hobby. Little did they know the kind of money dolls can bring...anyway, a few weeks later, I was at an antique show and high above the heads of the crowd, I saw Jerry Sloan. He was wearing his John Deere hat, perusing the aisles looking for his dolls. *Sigh* I always knew I loved him for some reason...and not just because he's the best coach ever.***

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. My summer has been so busy but I am so intrigued by all of the blogging I am reading about thrifting. My thrifting has been at TJ Maxx and Ross. I want to start this fun new way of collecting. Thanks for encouraging me. Maybe you will see a post soon on my finds. (I hope)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like collecting rubber stamps and had a very big collection until I decided to give 3 each to our Activity Day Girls. When we were making our own stationary and writing letters to missionaries, I let them pick 3 each and they were so excited...that meant 33 gone. It felt so nice to share some of my collection with the girls !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these tips. I will keep them in mind next time I go. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say