While I was looking around an antique mall last week, my daughter wanted to show me a "really cool vintage phone." She took me over to the shelf where a rotary phone sat looking a little out of place. I told her that was the kind of phone everybody had when I was little.But then in the 80s, things really started to change and we were starting to get some fancy colors like blue and almond. When the slimline came out, we all thought it was really chic. It even had a push button dialer. No waiting for that so yesterday rotary thing.


Oh my heck! Years ago while we were on the islands, my aunt told my son to call a relative on a phone like the one in the 1st picture (black). After about 15 mins of waiting, my aunt grew impatient and told my son, "well, did you reach them?" he walks back and tells her the phone doesn't work. She screams, "what do you mean it doesn't work?" They walk back together and she says "dial the number!" We hear this howling laugh and when we walk back to the kitchen to see what was happening, my poor son was frantically pressing his finger in the dial holes of the phone. To this day, my aunt still owns that phone.
ReplyDeleteHa ha, that is way funny!
ReplyDeleteI am that kid my mom is talking about. haha. I enjoy reading your blog as well. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blog.
ReplyDeleteMarley
I am laughing out loud and I loved old rotary phones. I loved the sound they made and the anticipation of the call. My mom still has one at her house in the basement.
ReplyDeleteCrazy to think how far we've come. I grew up with a dial phone, too, and then the cool Con-air neon phone on my room. And now, I haven't had a home phone in 5 years. Can't even imagine what the next step is!
ReplyDeleteI remember these phones too! I got pretty fast at dialing on them (yeah right!) My favorite part of that time is the length of the telephone cord due to the constant talking, walking, getting comfortable on the couch...you know what I mean! "Modern" push buttons and cordless were paradise!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the laugh!
Too funny! The second part of my old number started with two zeros... waiting for that thing to come all the way around twice was kind of time consuming! :)
ReplyDeleteOH HOW FUNNY....because, I have a post coming up on my blog about an old rotary phone just like this one. Made me smile. We must think alike.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you stopped by my blog. It's nice to meet you!!
Have a great day.
Sandra