The only picture of myself I could find at Christmas time taken prior to the Bells Palsy Incident of 2006. I am sticking my arm into my sister's children's tree
to retrieve a ball...who said never to play ball in the house??
to retrieve a ball...who said never to play ball in the house??
It is true, as soon as Fall hits, the Christmas displays in stores are going out, even before Halloween.
Every year it seems that this happens earlier and earlier. Even the Black Friday sales are starting early and they promise to bring deep discounts.
And while some have grumbled about this, present company included and to which I understand, remember that retail does want your money. They want to capitalize on every minute before Christmas day hits and they start earlier every year so as not to miss a single moment or dollar. After all that is their goal, especially when forecasts point to a gloomy selling season.
I only wish they would've given these kinds of discounts long ago but that's beside the point.
I heard Christmas music in the store yesterday and I liked it. I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but is it ever too early to remember the birth of the Savior of the World?
I don't think so - not when He is so desperately needed.
So setting aside the commercialism that the Christmas season brings, I like to remember that the true Spirit of Christmas lies with the Lord and within my heart.
And the rest - the lights, music, Christmas movies, people ringing bells outside the store, gift wrap, a neighbor who goes totally nuts with decorations and makes your house look like the Grinch house, presents, trees, parties, turkeys, glorious mounds of buttery mashed potatoes, cookies, cakes, more cookies, pumpkin pie, apple pie, did I mention cookies?? are all just little extras that can enhance the season we are so lucky to freely celebrate and I love it all.
When I was overseas, there were no decorations around town. This was a Buddhist nation and Christmas was just a regular work day. As night fell we were biking to a friend's home for dinner. I passed a store that had a little Christmas tree in its window decorated with twinkling lights. It was sweet and all alone like The Charlie Brown tree.
My Japanese friend loved that tree and remarked that I was lucky to be an American where such displays are common place. She thought it was probably really pretty in America and wished she had that in her country. Homesickness twinged my heart. It was pretty back home and also right there, staring at that little store front.
So to retailers I say, commercialize Christmas all you want, knock yourselves out - Thank you for allowing me another opportunity to publicly remember that sweet, little Babe born so many years ago.
I AGREE!!! Bring on Christmas. I explained this to my complaining 15 year old son last week, as he had to listen to Christmas music in my car. HEY....we're celebrating the birth of our Savior. Let's celebrate this wonderful gift for as long as we can.
ReplyDeleteHave a good day.
I was finally able to come over and read through more than a handful of your blog posts tonight. I appreciated your candor, your sense of humor, your determination to remember the blessings of God. I'm so glad you visited my blog so I could come visit yours :)
ReplyDeleteJacci
P.S. And the nude painting story was hilarious!
I have to admit that I love when they start playing the Christmas jingles early on the easy listening stations. I love the decorations and music. Even if it's commercialized and packaged, the Holiday Seasons always makes people a bit nicer. Maybe they haven't figured out it's the spirit of Christ in them. That's what I'd like to think it is. I'm with you sister, BRING ON THE COMMERCIALIZATION!
ReplyDeleteto take from the song, "it's the most wonderful time of the year." christmas music makes you feel so festive. i love christmas decorations, especially the nativity displays featuring the baby jesus. we need reminders any way we can get them. i say bah humbug to anyone who doesn't get happy at this time of the year with all the excessive trimming. it's american to go big. bring it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for checking out my blog. I'd thought I'd do the same to your blog...I'm always curious how we all come across each other out here in this blogging world.
ReplyDeleteAmen to that last sentence. Have a wonderful holiday season!
I like the fact that Christmas so commercial. It makes it easier to bring up the birth of Christ on a whim during the holiday season, since everyone is feeling warm and giving.
ReplyDelete