Over the past year the talk of the economy and its effect on American households has been the topic of many news articles, stories and talks from the pulpit.
People are downsizing their homes and finally feel that it's okay to live within their means. That is the part that baffles me. When wasn't it okay to live within your means and when wasn't it okay to live in a small house?
Yesterday there was a family on t.v. who found themselves unemployed with a large mortgage payment looming. After 6 months, they sold their house and possessions, bought an RV, got wireless Internet, started homeschooling 2 kids and hit the road. They are traveling all over the country . When the teen-age son was asked if he ever wanted to go back to their big house, he said "No way."
He said in his old house they were all in their own rooms, running off with their friends, at school events and never at home together. Now, they are in tight quarters but are having the time of their life and he wouldn't change a thing. The father finally found a job that he could do from home, or RV, so they have an income now but aren't ready to go back to their old life. I was envious. Traveling with my family is one of my dreams.
It just goes to show, we're not defined by what we have. Or, we shouldn't let that define us. Not all kids need a million things. More than anything they want your time. My oldest daughter and I ran off to Target the other day, and as we got in the car she said to me, "Mom, I miss this...when it's just me and you." It seems in the daily grind, I've gotten lazy with our dates with the kids alone.
It's okay to surround yourself with the things that you love; I know I have some possessions that give me great joy - knowing it was my grandmother's china or a tablecloth made by my mom. But I guess it's more important that you surround yourself with things that love you back.
Sometimes I wish for a bigger house when there are 5 kids, 1 bathroom and no real laundry room. But even if we had a big house, I still think they would all gather in one room to play and follow me from room to room. It's not the house they want to be with, it's me, us, each other and I like hearing their laughter. Not so much the fighting, but that's part of the deal I guess.
And besides, like Erma Bombeck said, "Things taste better in small houses." Which is great - anything to enhance my culinary efforts would be appreciated.
People are downsizing their homes and finally feel that it's okay to live within their means. That is the part that baffles me. When wasn't it okay to live within your means and when wasn't it okay to live in a small house?
Yesterday there was a family on t.v. who found themselves unemployed with a large mortgage payment looming. After 6 months, they sold their house and possessions, bought an RV, got wireless Internet, started homeschooling 2 kids and hit the road. They are traveling all over the country . When the teen-age son was asked if he ever wanted to go back to their big house, he said "No way."
He said in his old house they were all in their own rooms, running off with their friends, at school events and never at home together. Now, they are in tight quarters but are having the time of their life and he wouldn't change a thing. The father finally found a job that he could do from home, or RV, so they have an income now but aren't ready to go back to their old life. I was envious. Traveling with my family is one of my dreams.
It just goes to show, we're not defined by what we have. Or, we shouldn't let that define us. Not all kids need a million things. More than anything they want your time. My oldest daughter and I ran off to Target the other day, and as we got in the car she said to me, "Mom, I miss this...when it's just me and you." It seems in the daily grind, I've gotten lazy with our dates with the kids alone.
It's okay to surround yourself with the things that you love; I know I have some possessions that give me great joy - knowing it was my grandmother's china or a tablecloth made by my mom. But I guess it's more important that you surround yourself with things that love you back.
Sometimes I wish for a bigger house when there are 5 kids, 1 bathroom and no real laundry room. But even if we had a big house, I still think they would all gather in one room to play and follow me from room to room. It's not the house they want to be with, it's me, us, each other and I like hearing their laughter. Not so much the fighting, but that's part of the deal I guess.
And besides, like Erma Bombeck said, "Things taste better in small houses." Which is great - anything to enhance my culinary efforts would be appreciated.
AMEN!! Enjoyed the post. And couldn't agree more! I love my little house. We always know where everyone is. And I have the same 1 bathroom problem. Over the years we even worked that out.
ReplyDeletehave a great day!
Sandra
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
ReplyDeleteI love this post...and echo the same thoughts (and ask the same questions).
Enjoy your small house & the wonderful memories you're making for your children!! They are priceless.
My family finally got a decent size home a few years back. From the front it looks small, but if you go inside it is a multi-level home with 3 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms, a living room, a dinning room, big kitchen, nice size basement with a storage room & decent size laundry room, family room and living room. All the things in a home I never had in my life ever. What I love about the house is that all 5 of us are usually in one room together when we are at home. That's another thing I never had growing up, a close knit family living the gospel lifestyle. I think I would gladly live in a small cramped apartment again as long as my family remains close. Thank you for reminding me about how lucky I really am. I love my home but I'm so grateful for a family that loves me.
ReplyDeleteMay,
ReplyDeleteI love your kitchen! I have a thing for them. It's the one where Mina is moonwalking, isn't it? I think you should give us a virtual tour! I grew up in a big house and we still dogpiled each other in someone's room. It was fun!
Thanks for coming by. Camos sounds like a wonderfully charming town from Tracy's stories.
ReplyDeleteCheri
i'm glad my gf recommended your blog as a good read. you write so beautifully. i have read alot of your posts. i'm hooked. i'm a fan now. thank you for being so cheery. your writings are good for a woman's soul.
ReplyDeleteOMG! May was right about your blog. So simple yet eloquently written. You are very witty as well. I'm your latest blog stalker (tee hee).
ReplyDeleteNot sure if I can live in an RV and I doubt I want to live in a house any bigger than I have now, but I do love being surrounded by my husband and kids and things my family passed down through the generations.