I remember one time when I was asked at a church gathering of women about my goals, I replied that I didn't really have any. The lady who asked me was the Sunday School teacher and the next morning while she was teaching she referenced how she was speaking to someone and they said they made no goals. {Ahem, that would've been ME!}
She went on to say how she thought this was the dumbest thing she had heard and never knew people existed that had no goals. I remember she was shaking her head, saying she just "couldn't understand it!"
She must have forgotten that I was in her class as I sat there and recounted this small conversation.
I wanted to hit her.
I didn't. It took all my strength not to go up and ask her about that remark but
I just rolled my eyes to myself and took delight in the fact that she was having a bad hair day.
Well, I do have goals. Some are lofty. Some are small. Some I know I will never reach and that's okay. They are now more like daydreams and I think it's fun to daydream.
I make goals that I know are within my capabilities. Some days between work, kids, schedules, church callings, my husband's career, house remodeling, a family situation that nearly drives me to hit the hard stuff, and a baby's diaper changes, I feel stretched very thin. And those resolutions that I meant to get to are put on the back burner along with my hobbies.
So, I make a few goals, incorporate my hobbies in to them and I don't worry about it too much after that. I'm just a realist which I guess plays to my casual nature. Remember, I like Bart Simpson for a reason...
I also start working on these things every October and April - just in line with LDS General Conference. That's when I hear some great talks and it motivates me to start moving in the right direction again.
So this year's resolutions are - a continuance from October:
1. Reach my goal weight in May.
2. Organize the craft room/office and create a focal wall.
3. Try some dishes out of my Julia Child cookbook I received for Christmas a long time ago.
4. Organize better birthday parties for each of my kids. I tend to only throw a party for them once in a while. I guess this stems from my parents not making a big deal out of birthday parties and I am falling into that mindset. I don't want to do that anymore. They deserve to know the day they came into my life was a bright day and their presence makes our lives better.
5. Read more books. My ability to speed read came in handy when I used to devour books. I haven't taken the time to sit and do that.
6. Get back to my jogging/walking 2 miles a day. (I slack during winter.)
7. Start my house blog and another one yet to be named.
8. Play guitar with Lenny Kravitz. Ok, that is a daydream...
And when April comes, we'll see how I do!
How do you guys go about setting goals/resolutions?
Reading is one I made this year too -- I won't read a book for months, then I'll suddenly pick one up and just read one a day for a week or so (I speed read too -- and I get faster the more often I read). I want to hit a better middle ground -- read regularly, but not for time lengths that let my house fall apart. :-) Like set aside some time every day kinda thing . . .
ReplyDeleteOh, and I'm impressed you didn't smack the teacher :-)
Some people are so RUDE. I'm glad you are not in my ward or I'd show you how to be ghetto with it and check that woman. Opps, my bad. That's one of the things I'm working on.
ReplyDeleteI really love your #4. It seems so simple yet I'm guilty of the same thing. It would make a world of memories if you kid benefits and did I mention how BEAUTIFUL your kids are??
Shoot for the moon. If you're going to play with Lenny Kravitz, you might as well go for broke and play with Eric Clapton too = )
Good luck. I'll be pulling for ya.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and commenting.
ReplyDeleteI don't have any goals yet for the year. But i'm working on it. I just need a nap first :)
Maybe I should take fewer naps? That could be a good goal.
Sometimes getting through the week one day at a time is my goal. I don't have allot of goals. They're usually the same as last year. If I can be a little better each year than the last, that's progress. I'd love to be 20 pounds lighter, but that's been my goal for 4 years now. It doesn't seem to be happening. HAHAHA
ReplyDeleteHave a great day.
Can I just copy yours as those are probably the exact same as mine. Seriously. Love ya girl.
ReplyDeleteOMG, that is funny, I can't believe that lady. Love all your goals for this year. I totally need to clean and organize my craft room too. I want to hear about your Julia Child's dinner's you make :) Did you see the movie? I loved it!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post, thank you for sharing!
I definitely have my set of goals that are realistic like be braver, enjoy the good life, finish projects and then others like going hangliding, shopping in Paris, travel Europe, go sailing, & skydiving. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't usually make a set of goals at the beginning of each year like a lot of people traditionally do. My life has changed around so many times in the past several years that I think I might be afraid to make long term goals now. I do have goals though. Especially when it comes to raising my kids. :)
ReplyDeleteI really like the goals you've written out. I think I'm going to try to read more this year too.